Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stepping down from SW 200PDS. 130PDS vs 150PDS

So i have finished building my observatory (imaging only), just to find out i forgot taking into consideration the motor system. This basically makes my observatory 10cm too small, so there's a chance of my scope hitting the wall in a couple of positions.

Now this could still work if i took great care and did flipping manually to avoid it, but it's not the safest option for remote control.

I'm therefor thinking of stepping down a size, and mainly had my eyes on the 130 or 150 PDS as it seems like a great options and won't need anything extra.
I also thought about the ED80, but it requires a new flattener, and then it starts to get significantly more expensive. I know there's also a good 150mm F4 alternative, but it's more expensive, and my MPCC MK3 is not good at F4 anyway, so again it suddenly gets much more expensive.

I intend to keep the 200 still though, but get a good all around-er. My current camera is a QHY5L-II, and an APSc DSLR, but i intend on upgrading to a ASI1600 or similar in the future.

So then, 130 or 150? 150 is larger and closer to the 200 and is therefore a good "replacement, just slightly smaller".
But as i will keep both, i though maybe the best is to get the 130PDS to get a noticeably wider FOV for those larger nebula and drag out the 200PDS for those small faint ones? Another thought was that the money i save on the 130 vs 150 i can trow towards an OAG for my QHYCFW2.
I'm also guessing the 130 will be even a bit easier to guide with the HEQ5 pro then the 150? I'm currently struggling a bit with the 200...

Well, all in all, i'm leaning towards the 130, but will this be a mistake compared to the 150? Also, does anyone know the exact length of the 130 and 150? Or any side by side comparison pics between the scopes?

Archived