First Light for three newbies

Nyctimene

Yesterday evening, I had invited my tax advisor and his astro-interested (but unexperienced) girlfriend for an observing evening; another young lady joined the group; and after dinner, we started to explore the evening sky with 8x40 and 7x50 bins, and three dobs (5,1", 8" and 18"), supported by a green laser pointer.

None of them had looked through a scope before; and, as they all are living in a rather light-polluted area, I started with the basics. The Plough, the way to Polaris, extended to find Cassiopeia; Perseus, Andromeda, Pegasus; Summer triangle. The first look through the 5" was at the Double cluster; not as impressive for them, as I had thought. But then one of the ladies spotted the Pleiades, just rising, naked eye, and I had her point the 5" at the cluster. Many "oh"'s and "great", especially, when they found out how to spot the cluster with bins. Meanwhile, I had prepared the 8" for a look at M 15 globular at 100x mag; they were astonished to see the pinpoint stars, and even more, when I had them take a look through the 18" at mag 250x. But I was somewhat surprised - the most pleasure, as it seemed, they all took from looking at the sky just with the bins, which went from hand to hand (and I was eagerly supporting them to find objects with the laser pointer!). So they made their star-hopping ways to M 31; with the 5" to the Owl cluster NGC 457; later to Lyra; and I had them point the  8" at the Double Double, which was easily and clearly separated; M 57 (explaining the stars life cycle); M 81/82 still low down, and finally at Albireo.

After about two hours, the sky was rapidly fogging up; and we finished this evening of "firsts" with a piece of cake and a cup of coffee. All were pleased (and the accompanying outdoor cat, liberally caressed, as well), and very grateful for the views. As it seems, all three are hooked; and are pondering buying some good bins and later a scope (the 5,1" Heritage, I guess).

Very pleased about this evening, and so to bed.

Stephan

The pleasure from watching others discover the wonders of the night sky is quite something, well done for helping three future astronomers take the first steps.

I am less surprised at the pull of binocular, they are a familiar item so a comfortable pair of slippers for a new observer.  

My viewing started in my formative years in the 70's with a binocular and my Dad, sadly he is no longer with us, but astronomy and lunar observing still fills me with joy and memories.

Archived