Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Building a remotely accessible observatory

Hi folks

The group I am part of, called The Flame Trench, recently got a lot of interest in building a remotely accessible AP setup for people who follow us to get involved with.  We'll be looking into using it for a lot of outreach, especially with a second telescope carrying out some live observing.  More info on the build can be found here.

I thought I'd make a thread to show the build as we start to get hardware in and watch it progress! 

Currently we have a Celestron 6SE w/ EQ-wedge, and a canon DSLR - looking at hooking that up to some web tools to enable some live observations to get the outreach part kicked off early.  We'll be looking at somewhere to make the setup semi-permanent or entirely permanent once it's built.

I've attached our planned kitlist for the AP setup:

Thanks for having a look ?

Ben

Capture.PNG

Hi ashortfallofgravitas,

I also hope to have some sort of permanent remote setup sometime in the future (getting difficult hauling my CPC 1100 around). Will you have a dome or some kind of enclosure, and which software do you intend to use to control the entire setup? I suppose some of the Arduino stuff you will be doing yourself?

Best of luck!

13 hours ago, beka said:

Hi ashortfallofgravitas,

I also hope to have some sort of permanent remote setup sometime in the future (getting difficult hauling my CPC 1100 around). Will you have a dome or some kind of enclosure, and which software do you intend to use to control the entire setup? I suppose some of the Arduino stuff you will be doing yourself?

Best of luck!

The eventual plan will be a dome or shelter of some kind, i really want something like a skyshed pod but so hard to get in the UK...  A while off that yet as want to have the setup finished first.

Some of the arduino based stuff will be my own development, yes

Archived