SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Last nights session

Mr niall

Wasn’t feeling it last night. I guess that happens. It’s been about a month since we had a decent clear night so I was understandably excited when the weather forecast was suggesting the first clear night in ages. I put the mak outside about 8pm, the forecast was for clear but everything was still under a thick blanket of orangey smush outside and I wasn’t hopeful. Checked periodically and it started to show signs of clearing but I’d started watching “Wild” on film 4 and was really getting into it and losing the will to get outside! Anyway, popped my head outside about 11 and it was brilliantly clear so headed out! I should have planned ahead though - couldn’t find my red light or drawing pencil so that made things more difficult! 

To make things worse, my hopeful targets; albireo, M57, Swan Nebula had either long since gone to bed, or were hiding behind the leylandii at the bottom of the garden. This is still my first year so I guess I’ve been a little naive about how much things move across the seasons! Anyway got TLAOrion out and switched between hunting around and totally blinding myself with the torch I had available.

Settled on M31 and Gamma Delphini. Found Delphini easily enough, although I was fairly underwhelmed. It was my first attempt at a double with different colours and was expecting more of a difference. I took 5 mins away from the eyepiece and had another go and enjoyed it much more on the second attempt - perhaps the frustration of the evening had gotten to me?! After a few mins of study the colours started to reveal themselves - the primary had an orangey almost green tinge (almost like a street light) and there was a definite contrast to the secondary which was more a silvery blue. Had a go at drawing - the bright torch made it hard work and didn’t enjoy the process!

At 11.30 it was still so mild I had to take my fleece off! Turned the scope and patio table round and had a go at M31, wasn’t too hard a find but was a little uncomfortable as I’m on a tabletop mount and had it was over straight over head (lots of head craning and leaning down!) but was pleasantly surprised - a lovely big target with a definite cigar shape with AV. M32 was a cheeky little monkey. Was near the edge of the FOV with my 30mm but thought it was just a star for quite a long time - only appears with AV (ironically only when I was looking at M31) but similarly quite pretty. Had a go at drawing that too, really unhappy with the drawing. Awkward position didn’t help and I had to angle the scope more towards the house so the interior lights were sneaking in the eye line.

Still haven’t got a dew shield yet so M31 was fading fast by the end and had to call it a day. Sat outside for another 20mins - was a really pretty night. Noticed some serious twinkling action - vega was almost strobing it was so twinkly. Does that mean poor seeing? Couldn’t decide, the sky looked great to me!

• Didnt enjoy it last night. Normally I don’t care about the quality of my drawings as long as I enjoy the process - I did not enjoy the process. I think tiredness played its part. I find work sneaking into my head a lot lately and wasn’t really “in the zone”. Also, I didn’t really prepare for the session and that gets annoying. Anyone had any similar experiences? Really struggled to keep the outside world out! :dontknow:

Anyway - reports below, sorry for the ramble!

89F1F4C1-5056-4D7D-A9F3-69D11B09D051.jpeg

3592F0A2-07A5-4AC2-9225-EB8A2CD3C5A0.jpeg

B6831C1F-0F34-4200-A234-F4C30AA3980C.jpeg

EDDB7B8A-78BF-4DDB-8A9B-D3F6A4358C73.jpeg

Nice read and pics...

At least you had a session outside, tired or not in the zone, but you were out there. We need to grab each occasion of observing as it comes around since who knows when the next one will be.

I had been watching the weather forecasts all week and was really looking forward to Saturday night. I set up at about 5pm at about 7pm I had a small opening in the clouds and was able to polar align. After that, it was complete cloud cover. My wife and some friends were watching a film and I chose not to watch it so I could focus on the astronomy (I am kind of antisocial). At 11pm I packed up feeling pretty annoyed.

I don't know when the next clear moonless night will be since Ophelia is on its way. I get the feeling that was my last chance this month...sigh.

A great report. It's actually good to read when people are not in the zone. Half the time I'm underwhelmed by doubles and the other half interested or amazed. Sometimes I even hope it's going to be cloudy (please not tonight). I usually find sitting outside at night strangely pleasing anyway.

Saturday was by far the best night in weeks (well, at least over here...), looks like you did manage to get some decent sketching done, I only managed some field sketches. 

As for the internal struggle: astronomy is my way of letting the stress out... although I do feel the need to book some progress in checking off items off my list, when this doesn't quite work, at least I can be at peace knowing that they will still be there next week, next month, next year,... 

Excellent report and sketches. I could really relate to your feelings. I’ve certainly had nights where nothing’s really impressed or got me excited. Tiredness is normally at the heart of it for me too. With clear nights being hard to come by we all feel inclined to get out and observe whenever the opportunity arises irrespective of how we feel. Sometimes getting out can give you a massive boost, others times not so much. I always feel a slight guilt on those rare occasions that I’m not enjoying it for whatever reason. Thank you for the honesty of your report, made me feel a bit more normal :) 

Archived