SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asteroid 2012 TC4 tonight

Asteroid 2012 TC4 zipping by tonight, might have a small chance of capturing it in the SCT, appears to be going about an arcsecond per second, near to Neptune so may have a chance of imaging that as well, weather not looking good ATM though.

Dave

59de0388c4203_2012TC4.PNG.761d1f388d58fdf02ad2ec5963b95a7d.PNG

is this the one that the doomsdays on youtube are flapping about " thay make my brain hurt wish youtube would put all stuff like that in a nonreal sec instead of astro :hmh:" anyway if it is and it do hit hope it hits my garden the grass needs cutting :icon_biggrin:. weathers dismal here but ment to get better, if so might have a look with the big newt, thanks for the heads up. charl.

Awesome! 27,300 miles is pretty darn close! If you're clouded out, a live webcast is available here (the article includes closest approach timings for various time zones)- http://www.cometwatch.co.uk/asteroid-2012-tc4-watch-it-live/.

It looks like it's going to be tricky to track the closer to closest approach we get but should be within telescope brightness in the hours before and after. Good luck all, I think we'll need it! :-)

Matt

Is there anyway of using a plate solving programe to get close to this and get it located in the FOV of a DSLR?  If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.  It's going to be clear tonight, and I might try to image it.

13 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Is there anyway of using a plate solving programe to get close to this and get it located in the FOV of a DSLR?  If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be great.  It's going to be clear tonight, and I might try to image it.

Depends on your field of view, going to need a long focal length so ergo small field of view, I usually try to figure out the track and lie in wait for it with the camera looping and try to spot something moving, missed the last one completely but only using Stellarium coordinates, don't know how accurate they are.

Dave

11 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Depends on your field of view, going to need a long focal length so ergo small field of view, I usually try to figure out the track and lie in wait for it with the camera looping and try to spot something moving, missed the last one completely but only using Stellarium coordinates, don't know how accurate they are.

Dave

Ah ok!.  Honestly, thought I was just going to point the 250px fl/1200mm at the general direction and take a few 30s exposures.  Maybe it's too faint or too fast to do this?

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Ah ok!.  Honestly, thought I was just going to point the 250px fl/1200mm at the general direction and take a few 30s exposures.  Maybe it's too faint or too fast to do this?

Have a look on Stellarium and run the time back and forwards to work out the track then line up the long side of the sensor with it and hope for the best :grin:

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Have a look on Stellarium and run the time back and forwards to work out the track then line up the long side of the sensor with it and hope for the best :grin:

Dave

Any suggestions for exposure time?

Probably go for higher than normal ISO as you're not after quality images and take some practice shots to catch as many dim stars as you can.

Looks to be moving about 1 arcsecond a second so if you're into maths you can work out your field of view and get a rough idea of how long it will take to cross your sensor and how far it will move in 30 seconds :)

Dave

Here's one I did a while ago using DSLR and 70/200 lens piggy backed on the SCT, 30 seconds @ f/4

Asteroid 2004BL86

2004-BL86.gif

Fantastic.  I wouldnt know where to start working that out, but a quick search on the web suggests a 1.06deg FOV along the longest part of the sensor at 1200mm.  This equates to 3816 arc seconds, or just over an hour to cross my FOV!!!  So at 30s subs I'd get 120+ images. 

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Fantastic.  I wouldnt know where to start working that out, but a quick search on the web suggests a 1.06deg FOV along the longest part of the sensor at 1200mm.  This equates to 3816 arc seconds, or just over an hour to cross my FOV!!!  So at 30s subs I'd get 120+ images. 

Sounds like a plan , looking at the weather it may be too late here by the time it clears :hmh:

Dave

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Showing my complete ignorance, and I’m not at home and have limited internet access, but what time can we expect to see this, and roughly what part of the sky? 

You can put the coordinates into Stellarium.

Dave

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Ok, I’ve never used it and haven’t got it on my pc. Will the asteroid be automatically in it? Lol ? 

No you have to edit the solar system configuration, bit confusing in the usual computery way, there is a post on here somewhere with instructions, I'll have a look for it, can't remember how to do it without actually doing it :grin:

Dave

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Ok, I’ve never used it and haven’t got it on my pc. Will the asteroid be automatically in it? Lol ? 

Can't find the post but I think it goes something like this.

Start Stellarium
In the left hand pop out menu click on the spanner config window
Click on plug ins at top
Scroll down to Solar System edit on left and click
Click on the configure button at the bottom
Click on solar system at top
Click on import orbital elements at bottom
Click on the Asteroid button
Click on select bookmark
Choose NEA near earth asteroid
Type in 2012 TC4 in the search bar
Tick the box beside it
Click add objects
Close all

Open search in Stellarium and type in 2012 TC4 click to search and it will show position.

Told you it was fiddly, hope I haven't missed any steps'

Dave

Thanks Dave. I only got home there at 10:30, Crystal Clear outside. Opened shed, attached and focused camera, plate solved a lovely image of M45(!), next plate solve orange. Stick my head out of the warm room - bloody raining! 

Archived