Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M27 with Marcel Vonk.

ollypenrice

This week Marcel has been operating the TEC140/Mesu200/Atik 460 outfit very attentively and to good effect! Since he was doing all the hard work while I was somnambulating in the warm room I woke up in time do some processing of his data. In total about 8 hours in LRGB and Ha. I will try to get some OIII for this since the outer shell does respond strongly and brings blue/green to the table on that part of the image.

M27%20HaLRGB%20REC140%20WITH%20MARCEL%20

Olly/Marcel.

Since I had the image 'in stock' anyway, I combined this with the one Yves and did a few years ago in his 14 inch. The image weighting is about 50/50. The TEC data held up remarkably well alongside that from the 14 inch. This has an OIII layer from the earlier image.

M27%20TEC%20and%20ODK14%20Web-XL.jpg

Olly

33 minutes ago, gorann said:

Fabulous images, both of them!

My only wonder is about the star colour. Seems to be that all smallish stars are reddish. Is that how they should be? Maybe they are behind some reddish dust?

I think this will be the dust-redenning effect where the shorter wavelengths suffer more extinction than the long. We are in the thick of the Milky Way here and images I've done nearby show similar effects. Here's the Coathanger Cluster, for instance, which is only about 8 degrees away from M27. A guest did a great widefield Coathanger this week and that dusty background is very extensive.

Brocchi's%20lrgb%20web-M.jpg

Olly

21 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I think this will be the dust-redenning effect where the shorter wavelengths suffer more extinction than the long. We are in the thick of the Milky Way here and images I've done nearby show similar effects. Here's the Coathanger Cluster, for instance, which is only about 8 degrees away from M27. A guest did a great widefield Coathanger this week and that dusty background is very extensive.

Brocchi's%20lrgb%20web-M.jpg

Olly

Got it Olly

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Youve absolutely smashed that one Olly. :thumbright:

Thanks, Rob. This one will probably keep me quiet for two or three years! Yves and I were pleased with the original 14 inch version but one or two niggles persisted and Marcel's shoot tidied them up. However, NASA have shown the real real extent of the Ha extensions and it would be nice to try... Uh-Oh!! :BangHead:

Olly

On 2017-09-23 at 17:43, gorann said:

Fabulous images, both of them!

My only wonder is about the star colour. Seems to be that all smallish stars are reddish. Is that how they should be? Maybe they are behind some reddish dust?

On 2017-09-25 at 01:21, ollypenrice said:

Thanks, Rob. This one will probably keep me quiet for two or three years! Yves and I were pleased with the original 14 inch version but one or two niggles persisted and Marcel's shoot tidied them up. However, NASA have shown the real real extent of the Ha extensions and it would be nice to try... Uh-Oh!! :BangHead:

Olly

Great image, Olly.

I don't know about NASA, but Fabian Neyer has a rather nice rendition of the extended Ha field around this neb.

http://www.starpointing.com/ccd/m27.html.

The extended Ha probably also explains the reddish stars that Göran noticed.

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great image, Olly.

I don't know about NASA, but Fabian Neyer has a rather nice rendition of the extended Ha field around this neb.

http://www.starpointing.com/ccd/m27.html.

The extended Ha probably also explains the reddish stars that Göran noticed.

Mr Neyer's rather good, isn't he??? I greatly admire his ability to find faint Ha and hadn't seen this one. :icon_mrgreen: Quite outstanding.

Olly

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Mr Neyer's rather good, isn't he??? I greatly admire his ability to find faint Ha and hadn't seen this one. :icon_mrgreen: Quite outstanding.

Olly

He spent 10 times as long chasing photons as (than?) you and Marcel. 22 hours on Ha alone. And 18 hours on LRGB, which mainly got him good star colour.

But it certainly paid off.

Archived