SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

canon 700d worthy upgrade?

scitmon

I'm currently using a Canon 1000d for my astrophotography work with my SW 80ED DS-Pro.  I've got a friend offering to sell me his Canon 700d for a pretty good price (around £300) and I would like opinions on whether this is a worthy upgrade or not?  I was initially just looking to buy the standard lens off him for around £50 but I must admit the whole package is a little tempting. 

Hi. If it's the 700d sensor you're attracted to then you could pick up a new 1200d -same sensor- and have it modified for astrophotography for around the same -or less- outlay. If it's anything else, then go for it. Just my €0.02. HTH.

The 550D, 600D, 650D, 700D and 1200D all have exactly the same sensor and you will see barely any difference between them for AP except for maybe some having a flip screen and the 550D getting slightly warmer in operation due to it being crammed into a smaller casing. 

and my Canon 1000D has the Digic 3 processor not the 4, so it's a 2 generation jump.  I see the video capabilities are much better compared to 1000d which had none natively.  I think it seems to be a worthy upgrade?

The pixel size is also smaller (hence more pixels for same size sensor) which according to http://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability seems to suit my scope a bit better.

I came across this on a comparison site:-

Canon 1200D and Canon 750D have same sensor sizes so they will provide same level of control over the depth of field when used with same focal length and aperture. On the other hand, since Canon 1200D has 33% larger pixel area compared to Canon 750D, it has potential to collect more light on pixel level hence have less noise in low light / High ISO images.

Peter

We have both a 700D and a 1000D. We use the 700D for general photography, and especially plant and insect photography where the flip-screen comes into its own, and the 1000D for astro-photography. I have used the 700D for astro, but it did not seem to be noticeably better, and it was clearly the better camera for our style of conventional photography. So they have sort of segregated themselves into the two uses. The 1000D is always available for astro, and I don't have to go chasing around looking for it and changing all the settings irritating the other user.

Archived