Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Three (SGL) amigos @ the IAPY

Uranium235

Its taken me a day or so to recover from it (I think I drank enough alcohol to sink a battleship!), but the trip down to Greenwich was well worth it :) As usual the standard was very high, especially in the sections for galaxies and nebulae (a cracking sunflower galaxy).

I'd like to heartily congratulate @michael.h.f.wilkinson for his highly commended image "Ghostly Sun", and @Avdhoeven for getting into the IAPY official publication and exhibit with his hubble format image of the Sadr region. They also helped me in the champagne and wine guzzling department, after which we all piled into the chip shop for some after-hours grub :p I think it was the same chippy Chris Lintott went to after us, only to find that we had already cleaned it out (sorry Chris!) :) 

As for me, I also got into the official publication and was included in the planetarium display, which will be going out for distribution to other planetariums soon (was quite cool to see your image up on the big screen). On top of that I did an on-camera interview to give advice on how to get into deep sky astronomy (stressing that the telescope is not that important for the beginner).

The only thing that took the shine off it was when my better half got in touch to check whether I was ok, given the incident that had happened on the underground that Friday morning. A bit of a worry, but London being London - it just shrugs it off and gets on with business as usual.

IMG-20170917-WA0001.thumb.jpg.37d95f037e608bb00994472bfca756b3.jpg

IMG-20170917-WA0002.thumb.jpg.8ab567679b65b68e5fb8d682a60e03f6.jpg

IMG-20170917-WA0003.thumb.jpg.7c800f6b518d4e6ec331d2d65b99836c.jpg

IMG-20170917-WA0000.thumb.jpg.47a305351404f27ebbf44060ff976e46.jpg

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

A great day all round Rob. Well done to you all!

Cheers Stu, it was a pretty good night out - loads of interesting people to chat with, in fact it was so good they had to chuck us out in the end as it was closing and the last bus to the gate was about to leave :D

36 minutes ago, chrislintott said:

Just a note to say I'm still bitter about the chips. Will try not to let it affect next year's judging. 

I originally wanted a kebab (as you do after a few brews!), but next time youre welcome to join us and you can have first dibs  :)

Archived