Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone observed at Sutton Bank?

Alkaid

Hello after a long summer of telescopic abstinence......now that the darker nights are coming I have decided to finally pay a visit to Dark Sky Site - Sutton Bank.  Should get up there in the next fortnight or so, weather permitting.  Anyone been?  Any good?  Any tips on a good spot or general info that I might find useful much appreciated....

I believe that the parking meters are in operation through the night (not a problem, so long as one knows).   Any anti-social behaviour problems reported? (unfortunately quite common in seeking out good DSO spots).

I noticed on Google Maps that there are many trees and that the tree-line appears to obscure the horizon.  So any targets low-down might be hard to pick off.

Any site reports will be very handy!   - thanks Steve

I've thought about Sutton bank for a while now and I know the NT make a big fuss about the dark sky status here and at Danby.  I've not been because I can venture out to a few of the reservoirs west of Harrogate within 20-30 mins or so from home.

However I have read that parking is free after dark for stargazers also on the north York moors NT website.. http://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/discover/dark-skies

As it happens i'm working in Helmsley, just down the A170 at the moment, and I pass the visitors centre a lot..  I'll call in at some point this week and report back on what they have to say about any ASBO or specific observation areas etc..

It's a fair trek from Leeds though Steve, usually takes me about 50mins (ish) from Otley via the A59 and similar from the office near Junction 45 on the M1.. Mind you it takes me 50min to get home from the office (15miles) so that's not really a good indicator of distance! 

I'll let you know if the visitors centre have anything useful on offer..

Ta

Fozzie

Nice one Fozzie!

Yes, I did think about the distance but it takes me an hour to get to my current DSO site in Wharfedale....it's a bit of a bind with lots of traffic lights on the way out.  I was thinking that the A1 north would at least be a non-stop cruise and enable me to relax a little whist driving.

Can't wait to hear what you find out!  Cheers Steve

16 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Can't wait to hear what you find out!

Howdo.. Called in at the visitors centre this morning an my way out of Helmsley, and had a good chat with the ladies at the info desk.

It would seem that other than the organised events through York AS there is no specific facilities or areas dedicated to astronomy.

in summary.. I asked the following

1. Are the facilities, ie toilets open to use... No
  2. Is there a specific area designated to telescope use and set up... No just the carpark or the surrounding fields if you want to carry equipment, but there are benches in the picnic area.
  3. Safety and security, any ASBO incidents... No not significant, they do get the odd late night picnic with drinks as she called it, but never had any damage or reports of serious issues.. the police do drive past a couple of times a night.  There are no cameras (cctv) or warden patrols
  4. View wise, is there a clear south horizon.. yes over towards the white horse, the car park is tree lined.  there is also clear horizon near the gliding club, but parking is more restricted and there is a caravan park next door.
  5. Parking meters, is it free after a certain time.. No but there's nobody there to check it.. if you catch my drift..

Essentially it would be no different than venturing out to say Brimham Rocks or the like and using the car parks there. 

Where about's in wharfedale do you go Steve, (not exact) might be able to point out some other places..?

ta

Fozzie

Fozzie, absolutely brilliant bit of info there - thank you!   It certainly sounds fine.  I must go and take a look now...

Re Wharfedale - currently hanging out by Appletreewick, great DSO site, I certainly don't mind pinging you the grid ref on a PM.  This is my current goto site.  There is no LP whatsoever.

Also enjoyed Barden Tower, just near the river - till someone put a light in the grounds...

I did check out some potentials on the road near The Strid, but no-go really...

As for good old Otley, there was a nice site (with increased LP due to Leeds / Bradford) up on the hill heading out towards Fewston Reservoirs.  It was ok and a quicker trek than Appletreewick (but not as good for LP). But a few years back it was filled with large piles of gravel for use on the winter roads, so I stopped visiting that site.

I have mountain biked up there in the dark with my mates but have never taken my gear.  Unfortunately the orange glow from Middlesborough is quite significant and I would have thought a bit of an issue really if looking NE.  South as said above is towards the White Horse and Thirsk.  I think in general its darker to the West of the A1 than East, say Masham/Bedale direction.

Sutton Bank is just up the road for me, I have been there a couple of times visually observing. The Milky Way is clearly visible, I didn't think the glow from Middlesbrough was too obtrusive. Trees are a problem in the main car park, but there are other off shoot car parks where visibility down to the horizon is better. There is another much smaller car park further down the road (past the cell phone mast) then a bridle path, that's where I would go for open horizons.

There have been reports of the canine fraternity using the site, I've never encountered any but then I tend to be there when it's about -5C or colder!

My main interest is imaging, it would be great to know when SGL members are planning to go, as I'm still not keen on having a lot of expensive gear and just me in such a location.

13 hours ago, tomato said:

My main interest is imaging, it would be great to know when SGL members are planning to go, as I'm still not keen on having a lot of expensive gear and just me in such a location.

I think that's the main concern for most of us, certainly something that i'm conscious off when I venture out..

18 hours ago, Alkaid said:

Fozzie, absolutely brilliant bit of info there - thank you!   It certainly sounds fine.  I must go and take a look now...

Re Wharfedale - currently hanging out by Appletreewick, great DSO site, I certainly don't mind pinging you the grid ref on a PM.  This is my current goto site.  There is no LP whatsoever.

As for good old Otley, there was a nice site (with increased LP due to Leeds / Bradford) up on the hill heading out towards Fewston Reservoirs.  It was ok and a quicker trek than Appletreewick (but not as good for LP). But a few years back it was filled with large piles of gravel for use on the winter roads, so I stopped visiting that site.

No problem, I was interested myself as I could theoretically stop once the nights close in, as i'm already in the area..

I know the site just outside of Otley your talking about, its about 10mins from my house as it happens, but I don't like the proximity to the road if im honest.  I do have a site about 20mins further on near Thruscross Reservoir with is good, with a place to park and nice sky's.. off a single track so not overly busy.  Bet it's not too dissimilar to Appletreewick.  Again Happy to DM you the details..

Ta

Fozzie 

I wouldn't worry too much about theft. Theives now want jewellery and cash, and most burglaries take place in the daytime. They also know you have a mobile phone and can call the Police in seconds. It would be a terrible shame to let fear of the bad guys get in the way of our lives. I try not to afford them that honour.

Olly

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:29, ollypenrice said:

I wouldn't worry too much about theft. Theives now want jewellery and cash, and most burglaries take place in the daytime. They also know you have a mobile phone and can call the Police in seconds. It would be a terrible shame to let fear of the bad guys get in the way of our lives. I try not to afford them that honour.

Olly

Hear hear!

I've experienced some mild annoyances during observing away from home, but no actual intimidation or threat of having my kit nicked.  It would seem that the only nutters out in the hills at 2am in freezing conditions are astronomers  ;-)

Archived