NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Some of Uncle Al's Jewels ......

John

Al Nagler started the Tele Vue company in 1977 and still runs it with his son David. Thanks for making my wallet a lot lighter Al :D

8294_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I'd like to spend much more time looking through them than at them though - so here's hoping for some clear Autumn skies :sunny:

John

That's one very respectable set of eyepieces John. That sort of quality certainly doesn't come cheap.

I know the quality, as I have the x5 Powermate, which I bought to replace my AE x4 Imagemate. No contest!! :D

Nice to see the humble but excellent Celestron Ultima Barlow in there too. Also one of my treasured possessions.

Dave

So you changed your mind about the 20T5...? Shame.

No, not entirely Andrew - I'm just trying a 16mm T5 Nagler for now as I'm rather attached to the 24mm Panoptic at the moment. I'll see how it goes. The 20mm T5 is still an option or even a 22mm T4 although the instajust feature is a love it or hate it affair I believe.

The 16mm T5 feels very different to the T6's - 1 less element, a little less eye relief but oddly, more of a "spacewalk" feel. It's a tiny eyepiece as well, physically the smallest Nagler in the current range I think.

I powermated it on the Moon last night and really felt like I was in lunar orbit - I almost got vertigo !.

John

Nice collection John - I see we share a liking for the 24mm Pan :D . I also have the 16mm Nagler T5 but, nice eyepiece that it is, I've never been comfortable with it, perhaps I just need a little more eye relief.

The 31mm Nagler is HUGE!

Have you tried any of the Pentax XW's?

James

Nice collection John - I see we share a liking for the 24mm Pan :( . I also have the 16mm Nagler T5 but, nice eyepiece that it is, I've never been comfortable with it, perhaps I just need a little more eye relief.

The 31mm Nagler is HUGE!

Have you tried any of the Pentax XW's?

James

Thanks James - the 16mm T5 is a little tighter on ER than the T6's are but somehow I found last night that the "spacewalk" feeling was a little stronger for me with the T5 - odd that :D

Pentax are one significant omission from my eyepiece experience so far but I'd certainly like to try some though - the reviews are universally great.

If I move back to driven scopes I could see myself wanting an alternative selection of tools - a mixture of Pentax orthos' and XW's perhaps ? - the ulta-widefields are really helpfull for my current undriven alt-az mounted scopes though.

John

Archived