Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher catadioptric 150mm for visual?

Hello, I found this telescope online and I would like to know some advices on it. I don't have the model yet but it has a FL of 1000 and aperture of 150mm. a SW catadioptric. (Schmidt of Maksutov = ? yet)

My question: I just want a second instrument for a guest to do visual, how good is it for visual? It's short but it's a Catadioptric, so I don't know much about these instruments.

I would be glad to have some advices.

thanks.

NiKI4wh.jpg?1

Hello Cloudsweeper, it's advertised has a catadioptric Newtonian in fact (my mistake). I am up right now it's 3:21 am because of a strange dream I just had, but previously I asked the seller by message if it is a Schmidt of Maksutov Newtonian.

Sellers tells me it's 1000mm, Ill get more answers later for sure.

I have a feeling that it is a version of my first scope which was a Celestron C150HD. This was a Bird-Jones design, 150mm aperture with a 1000mm focal length in a very similar looking short tube. The corrector/Barlow in the focuser adding the extra focal length.

I found it enough to keep me going for quite a few years, but then I was far more ignorant and probably didn't know what I was using!! :) 

From recollection, the collimation of the secondary was difficult/impossible due to the design, and it ran out of steam above about x150.

Depends on price of course, but I'm sure a 150P f8 would give better images.

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have a feeling that it is a version of my first scope which was a Celestron C150HD. This was a Bird-Jones design, 150mm aperture with a 1000mm focal length in a very similar looking short tube. The corrector/Barlow in the focuser adding the extra focal length.

I found it enough to keep me going for quite a few years, but then I was far more ignorant and probably didn't know what I was using!! :) 

From recollection, the collimation of the secondary was difficult/impossible due to the design, and it ran out of steam above about x150.

Depends on price of course, but I'm sure a 150P f8 would give better images.

Thanks Stu and John - that design would explain why it seems short although it has a FL of 1000mm.

As for Mak or Schmidt - Newtonian, I suppose a look at the aperture end would answer that one!

Doug.

13 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Thanks Stu and John - that design would explain why it seems short although it has a FL of 1000mm.

As for Mak or Schmidt - Newtonian, I suppose a look at the aperture end would answer that one!

Doug.

It will either have an optical window with the secondary mounted to it or conventional spider vanes. The characteristics of the design are a fast spherical primary mirror and a 2 element corrector lens which is situated in the bottom of the drawtube.

I think the Skywatcher scope is similar to the now discontinued Celestron 150 HD ?

Archived