NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Major new storm on Neptune

cuivenion

Thanks for the heads up :icon_biggrin:

I'll give it a go with my 12" dob at the next opportunity. Nepune's apparent disk is very small (2.6 arc seconds) but you never know !

I've seen Neptune's moon Triton with my 12" and 130mm scopes but a surface feature is a different challenge entirely.

The planet is quite well placed at the moment at least.

22 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks for the heads up :icon_biggrin:

I'll give it a go with my 12" dob at the next opportunity. Nepune's apparent disk is very small (2.6 arc seconds) but you never know !

I've seen Neptune's moon Triton with my 12" and 130mm scopes but a surface feature is a different challenge entirely.

The planet is quite well placed at the moment at least.

Good luck! let us know how it turns out.

1 hour ago, triton1 said:

I still haven't seen my namesake but I have only a 200p aswell.I will persevere but not sure it's doable.

That's where a camera comes in handy. Unlike our eyes, the image continues to build-up on a camera (Video-cams, even webcams are cheaper options), whereas our eyes give you what they got after about 15 minutes of dark-adaptation. In this way, a 200mm telescope can pull-in and deposit on CCD-chips far fainter objects than you, a human, can actually see.

So you, masquerading as the moon Triton, would have a chance to see the real animal in a 200mm. Or buy a 20-inch light-bucket and give yourself a hernia trying to move that monster to & fro! :D

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks for the heads up! I've seen Neptune as a lovely disc in my 15", but it was pretty small at 330x tbh - I don't hold out much hope of seeing any detail on the disc. But, if I ever do get a clear night with very good seeing, I'd love to give it a try :) So much cloud lately. I found Triton to be much easier to see than some of Uranus's moons (I've detected 4 of them on a very good night last year).

Archived