Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

milky way at 50mm (Cygnus area)

Just now, kirkster501 said:

Stunning.  Congratulations.  I am looking into getting a Star Adventurer as well when i get paid.   I have a modded 450D with 50mm lens and hope to emulate your magnificent achievement here.

With a modded camera under dark skies, you should be able to get even better results!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have the benefit of the dark skies around your part of Denmark though.  I know that area very well as my brother is married to a Dane and lives in Viby near Roskilde.....

I once saw the NAN with the naked eye from there, it was so dark.

7 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

I don't have the benefit of the dark skies around your part of Denmark though.  I know that area very well as my brother is married to a Dane and lives in Viby near Roskilde.....

I once saw the NAN with the naked eye from there, it was so dark.

What a coincidence! Right now I am actually on a vacation at the west coast of Sjælland, from here the milky way is easily visible, and the cygnus region, really lights up on the sky.

On 25/07/2017 at 22:13, Victor Boesen said:

I got inspired when you said that you had adjusted the saturation so I did the same in lightroom, and I now think I am very satisfied with the result.

5977b404c7156_Cygnuswidefield.thumb.jpg.3d22d892b44c8ca84ae25e2c04e5e160.jpg
I like that the image is light, because I think it makes the milky way even more impressive.

It should be clear tomorrow, so I might try the Andromeda galaxy or the heart and soul together with the two clusters and Cassiopeia.

I liked your first image - a good example of what you can get even without a modded camera - the reprocess is nice too as it pulls out more of the data. It's a personal preference I have but whilst I'm sure you can get more and some of the examples above are lovely I'd probably prefer your reprocess for it's subtlety :) and wouldn't worry about going much further :)

James

excellent image. I agree with James i prefer the light processing in the original image. Do you use the HSL sliders in LR to do selective colour saturation so it doesn't apply it to the whole image?

1 hour ago, Daniel-K said:

excellent image. I agree with James i prefer the light processing in the original image. Do you use the HSL sliders in LR to do selective colour saturation so it doesn't apply it to the whole image?

Yes I do.

Amazing effort Victor. I have recently purchased a star adventurer. I have a unmodded 600D with a 18-135mm lens and a 50mm. I'm all set up ready to go, just waiting for a clear night here in South Wales. 

Can I ask, do you think the star adventurer could accurately track for more than 120 seconds? Also any tips before I head out? Your picture has encouraged me to image cygnus???

Thanks

Ryan

1 hour ago, Ryan_86 said:

Amazing effort Victor. I have recently purchased a star adventurer. I have a unmodded 600D with a 18-135mm lens and a 50mm. I'm all set up ready to go, just waiting for a clear night here in South Wales. 

Can I ask, do you think the star adventurer could accurately track for more than 120 seconds? Also any tips before I head out? Your picture has encouraged me to image cygnus???

Thanks

Ryan

Thank you very much!
And yes! even with the 18-135mm at 135mm you should get pin-point stars with good polar alignment. You could even get 3min. With your 50mm lens you could get 5min. Balancing and good polar aligment is key to good tracking (but also a good tripod).

Good luck with your new star adventurer! let it surprise you:-)

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2017 at 18:25, Alien 13 said:

A quick re process from the original TIFF, slight adjustment of curves and a bit of saturation in PS CS6, saved as a PNG.

59777ef513764_Cygnuswidefield3.thumb.png.bc72ac2477a20aa6aca8a4b3f9f18f40.png

Alan

Hi Alan, I hope you don't mind me asking. I have just imaged the same area at 18mm. I gathered 17 x 120sec lights & x7 darks. I have stacked using DSS 3.3.4 and processing in PS CS3 but I am having no results. This is my 1st proper attempt using my unmodded cannon 600D on a Star Adventurer. Would you be able to have a look at it for me, I am trying follow 'Making Every Photon Count' but want to ensure I have a decent platform to work from before I go insane.

I have attached the Autosave Tiff 32bit and a Tiff 16bit. Any help from you clever astrophotographers would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks Ryan

Autosave.tif

TIFF 16 bit .tif

Just now, Ryan_86 said:

Hi Alan, I hope you don't mind me asking. I have just imaged the same area at 18mm. I gathered 17 x 120sec lights & x7 darks. I have stacked using DSS 3.3.4 and processing in PS CS3 but I am having no results. This is my 1st proper attempt using my unmodded cannon 600D on a Star Adventurer. Would you be able to have a look at it for me, I am trying follow 'Making Every Photon Count' but want to ensure I have a decent platform to work from before I go insane.

I have attached the Autosave Tiff 32bit and a Tiff 16bit. Any help from you clever astrophotographers would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks Ryan

Autosave.tif

TIFF 16 bit .tif

Victor Boesen, sorry for jumping on your thread. Your image has inspired me and am having real difficulty at the moment.

Thanks

Ryan

1 hour ago, Victor Boesen said:

I had a little play with your autosave, and it is a really nice photo!
I am not a pro when it comes to editing, and I am sure that there is a lot of other people on here that could do a better job.

59c79b5d4d90a_Cygnuswidefield.thumb.jpg.ae011162d2c7c2cf417297e3056e8ce4.jpg
(This is only a jpeg)

Victor Boesen

Looks good to me :icon_biggrin:

Alan

5 hours ago, Ryan_86 said:

I finally managed processing my image. Im.rwally happy with it and looking forward to learning a whole lot more.

Here's my jpeg.

Thanks for your help guys???

Ryan

MilkWay-Usk-Res-PS'd-JPG.jpg

Nice result, I find I revisit images many times and save various versions before I am happy.

Alan

Archived