Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M57 central star

jetstream

I know this is going to sound strange and it may just be tricks being played on me by conditions or even wishful thinking. Going back to the reports I posted some time ago now which will be buried deep in the site somewhere, I can recall most of the observations as these were over a long period of time, total scope time was over 24 hours in many helpings. I clearly recall and reported seeing a star or a glimpse of a star in M57 at the point where John's chart marks a 16.3 star, clearly highly unlikely that I was seeing this however I was constantly believing I was seeing something without may I add seeing the central star at that time. From memory with the 18 inch I was able to see more stars than John indicated which is to be expected with a larger scope and probably a darker site. I think the 15.7mag on the very edge of M57 would be a good one to try for as well. Got set up last night and the clouds arrived, this is happenning a fair bit lately, split Antares fairly easily though and Saturn looked great.

Alan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting read and much food for thought. I may have to try this again loading the 8E in and giving that a go? Wonder if it's just a case of once you've seen it you will all the time a bit like the horsehead neb. 

I've had several attempts and thought I'd seen it but couldn't say for definite so it's a no from me. 

Hopefully we'll get some of those good skies you have over here and allow us a proper look.

Damian 

It all comes down to practice, practice and more practice.......

In my experience looking for visual SN you don't need a high magnification I often used a 12mm orthodox on the 12" f5 with good success.

you need to train your eye - it's easy to see things but difficult to observe things.

I found a few deep breaths and holding my breathing seemed to "pump more oxygen into my brain" while looking for the fainter stars.

30 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

It all comes down to practice, practice and more practice.......

In my experience looking for visual SN you don't need a high magnification I often used a 12mm orthodox on the 12" f5 with good success.

you need to train your eye - it's easy to see things but difficult to observe things.

I found a few deep breaths and holding my breathing seemed to "pump more oxygen into my brain" while looking for the fainter stars.

Spot on ! :icon_biggrin:

Last night I thought I was seeing a further faint star on the edge of the nebula but looking at the photo I reckon that was a knot of nebulosity now. Seeing faint stars against or embedded in nebulosity is more challenging than seeing them against an "empty" sky I think.

2 hours ago, John said:

Seeing faint stars against or embedded in nebulosity is more challenging than seeing them against an "empty" sky I think.

As always it's those damn clouds that get in the way! 

5 hours ago, mapstar said:

Interesting read and much food for thought. I may have to try this again loading the 8E in and giving that a go? Wonder if it's just a case of once you've seen it you will all the time a bit like the horsehead neb. 

I've had several attempts and thought I'd seen it but couldn't say for definite so it's a no from me. 

Hopefully we'll get some of those good skies you have over here and allow us a proper look.

Damian 

Even though I spent many nights on this over a long time, 3 months maybe, it was a superb night when I did see it with the 12 inch, it was also after rain which here anyway cleans the air. The other times have been with the 18 inch but also super clear nights. I have looked many more times with the Meade and not seen it since which leads me to believe it is not a once seen always see. I had a harder time with the HH and when I saw it I felt I was seeing it all the time really but not being able to see wood for the trees, if you know what I mean.  Personally M57's star is much more rewarding, after the HH I felt a bit disappointed.

Archived