Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What camera for Mak

john2y

Hey guys, 

I have a Nexstar 127 SLT Mak and Canon 100D and I was thinking about buying a camera with which I could do some DSO and also planetary imaging. I was thinking about ZWO ASI224MC but then I used ccd calculator and find out that everything would be extremely zoomed in.

Now I have a dilemma, I could use my dslr for some bigger objects but I'm not that satisfied with its results and the ZWO camera for some small ones but would it be worth it?

Also is there something like 0.5 Barlow I could use or would you recomend me a different camera with wider field of view in the same price range?

Thanks for help.

44 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I would not try DSO imaging with a Mak 127, far to slow a scope for this, they are best suited to Luna and planetary imaging

Ooooh, me sir!  I've done it!  it works ok for globs and planetary nebulae, though as already pointed out it's not good for anything more dispersed.  I can't for the life of me recall what camera I was using at the time though -- this was a few years back.  I probably posted some images here.  I'll see if I can still find links.

James

Here you go.  A couple of DSO images from my 127 Mak (at least one using an unmodded Canon 450D):

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/186974-mak-m13/

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/193864-final-127-mak-m27-for-this-season/

It's not a doddle though.  Doing it using an aging EQ3-2 was tough and I lost a lot of subs.  Even with an unguided HEQ5 it was hardly straightforward.  In the general case I think Jules's advice is absolutely fair.

James

The cam does not cause the image to be "zoomed in" it just makes things look bigger because of the smaller chip in the ASI against the much bigger chip of the DSLR. Crop down the view from the DSLR and it will be pretty similar (pixel sizes will probably be slightly different)

Similar situation to holding a toilet roll up to your eye and looking at your TV, looks pretty normal. Now do the same with a straw, a tiny thing now fills your view. TV hasn't got any bigger though.

My setup is exactly the same as you, Nexstar 127 SLT and ASI 178mm.

The good thing about the ASI178 is that with the small pixels, and the high F ratio of the telescope, you don't need a barlow lens, as you're already slightly oversampling, so my suggestion is, go for it :thumbright:

Of course, that applies only for planetary imaging, for DSO, I'd stick with what others said, better use something else (star adventurer?)

For planets the 224 is highly recommended by many. And with a mak the planet should be a decent size on the frame. As for this "no dsos for maks" business. Ive been doing small galaxys with my 150mak and 600d for years and quite enjoy it. Yes exposures are long. 7 minute subs upwards but when my guiding is good this isnt a problem. Andromeda is a definate no. But anything like m51 or smaller is great with good guiding. 

M51 with slight crop 

1 crop

20x450sec at iso800. Dss ps6

Dave

Archived