Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

oacapture 1.1.0 released

JamesF

oacapture 1.1.0 for OSX and Linux is now available from the downloads page of the website.

It's been a bit of a monster undertaking this one, despite the fact that not a huge amount looks to have changed.  Perhaps the most obvious change for Linux users is that oacapture, the ASI SDK and the UVC camera control library are now three separate packages, built as RPMs or DEBs depending on your environment.  Getting that to work has taken a ridiculous amount of time as whenever I changed something to make one version of one distribution work I then had to go back and test on all the others.  I'm barely sure I've got it right even now.  The one issue I haven't been able to resolve to my satisfaction as yet is that Linux users have to add themselves to the "users" group manually for some USB cameras to work correctly.

Other changes include:

• Use the latest version of the ASI SDK (0.6.0504)
  • Support for PNG output
  • Enable building against Qt5
  • Increase usbfs memory available for ASI cameras
  • The default position of the controls is now to the right of the preview pane
  • FITS output is enabled for 8-bit RGB frames
  • TIFF format output should be allowed for colour cameras
  • 16-bit greyscale UVC cameras should be supported
  • A problem with the exposure time setting in the text file is fixed
  • A problem with slow exposures of over 999ms has been fixed
  • The “hide controls” option has been removed as the window splitter handle now supports this function

I hope to get the sources uploaded to Github and it would be helpful if problems could be reported on the issue tracker there so I don't lose things.

For the next release I'm looking into putting the Linux DEB packages in a ppa so updates can be tracked automagically and I already have one or two issues to look at as well as a huge list of enhancements.  Now I have the build systems in place hopefully it shouldn't take so long next time.

James

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James, I've just downloaded the new version, installed it on my MacBook Pro running MacOS Sierra v 10.12.5 and when I open OACapture it crashes almost every time I try to run it. Sometimes it will open, but as soon as I try to connect to my ASI120, it just crashes. Even going back to v 1.0.0 doesn't work any more... Arrrggghhh! It was all going so well! Not sure what to do or how to try and suss this one out? Please help!

Thank you,

That's very strange then.  I know the USB2 models have always been a little tricky on OSX, but I've never seen a problem with the USB3 ones and I am certain I tested at least one with my Mac.  I'll check it again.

If you've reverted to v1.0.0 and it still doesn't work, probably the first thing I'd try would be to unplug the camera and powercycle the Mac.  Then reconnect the camera and see what happens with v1.0.0.

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

That's very strange then.  I know the USB2 models have always been a little tricky on OSX, but I've never seen a problem with the USB3 ones and I am certain I tested at least one with my Mac.  I'll check it again.

If you've reverted to v1.0.0 and it still doesn't work, probably the first thing I'd try would be to unplug the camera and powercycle the Mac.  Then reconnect the camera and see what happens with v1.0.0.

I will give that a go and report back...

32 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Hi James, the slow exposure fix is of great interest.  Is there a new ceiling limit on this?

I don't believe there should be, unless there is some other gotcha of which I am presently unware :)

James

That's very strange indeed.  I can understand that 1.1.0 might contain a bug that causes such a failure, but I can't for the life of me see how that could possibly cause 1.0.0 to fail subsequently.

I always open the DMG and drag the icon to the Applications folder to install it, so perhaps there's something else going on if you install it elsewhere.  I'll try that out.

James

Good evening James and thank you for your help with this. With any luck you will suss it out and it will be useful 'experience'!

There was the usual warning about trusted software or something when I first opened the new app. I had to go into Security and Privacy to allow the app to open. That is quite normal for 'untrusted' apps.

Which MacBook model and release date do you have?  I'm clutching at straws a bit there as the binary even works on my Mac Mini running Snow Leopard.  Could be a useful piece of information though.

James

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). macOS Sierra, v10.12.5. 16GB RAM.

oaCapture v1.0.0 worked perfectly, until I installed v1.1.0. I'm certain that I did nothing else to the system. It is very strange indeed...?

I have Planetary Imager installed too and it all works fine. Which is annoying as I much prefered your app!

The only other thing I can think of to try at the moment (which you may already have done) is to delete 1.1.0, reboot and reinstall 1.0.0.

I'm wondering if the reason 1.0.0 didn't work when you went back to it was because OSX had cached something from 1.1.0 somehow and it subsequently got used for 1.0.0 when you went back to that.

James

Quite.  All the dependencies for these packages are self-contained on OSX, so you can't go messing with anything else.

Ah... I have another idea.  Give me a moment.  I need to find the right filename.

James

Ok.  I think you should have a file below your home folder called "Library/Preferences/com.openastro.oaCapture.plist" and a folder called "Library/Saved Application State/org.openastroproject.oacapture.savedState".  Or something along those lines, anyhow.

You could try removing those files or renaming them (actually, if this does work or not then I'd be pleased to have a copy of the first one so I can try to reproduce the problem here).  Then restart v1.1.0.  This will remove any preferences you have set up in the application, so you may need to set those again.

James

8 hours ago, JamesF said:

Ok.  I think you should have a file below your home folder called "Library/Preferences/com.openastro.oaCapture.plist" and a folder called "Library/Saved Application State/org.openastroproject.oacapture.savedState".  Or something along those lines, anyhow.

You could try removing those files or renaming them (actually, if this does work or not then I'd be pleased to have a copy of the first one so I can try to reproduce the problem here).  Then restart v1.1.0.  This will remove any preferences you have set up in the application, so you may need to set those again.

James

Good morning. I can't find either of those files in either of the Library folders (one is in 'Macintosh HD' and the other is in 'Macintosh HD > System'). I tried a spotlight search for those filenames and nothing comes up?

I also deleted all oaCapture apps and dmgs, restarted my macbook, downloaded v1.0.0, dragged the app to my Applications folder, double clicked it and the crash happened again. I did notice that the download didn't take very long at all, despite my fairly rubbish internet connection.

Would it be beneficial for you to TeamViewer into my machine and have a dig about - if you promise not to kill it!!!!

Archived