Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade LX200 microfocuser cable collision.

I'm setting up a 14 inch LX200 which came with Meade's microfocuser controlled via the handset. It works, but there's a problem. The focuser plugs into the control panel using a right angle plug which seems to be original. Trouble is, as the fork swings round in azimuth it collides with this plug which simply sticks out too far. It's fully inserted, though. I can see no way that the standard plug could ever clear the fork.

There is another socket marked 'Focuser' on the inside of one fork tine but, when I use it, the focuser doesn't work. This extra socket gets no mention in the manual.

I have to wonder if Meade slipped up when they beefed up the 14 inch fork, as I believe they did, and created this problem.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Many thanks, Davey. Yup, what's changed is that the fork tine has more metal and the clearance is gone. Looks like the silly so-and-so's didn't think it through and added the alternative socket up on the tine as an afterthought. I've just had a look inside at the second socket but there are no obvious loose wires. I'm wondering if you are supposed to configure your choice of socket in some way.

594fc47983bdd_focusecable.jpg.cc86ff59ae7949d4036bd3717941032c.jpg

At least I can see why there's a problem.

Cheers,

Olly

Or if you can, undo the female connection off the panel, pull the wires through and solder on an extentionsion and plug. Will look a bit messy though, you would think Meade would have the alternative plug wired in parallel, if this was fitted as a solution?

Maybe just easier  to grind the clearance on the fork....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

If you take the panel off you could swop the focus and reticle sockets if there's enough slack on the cables, may confuse a future owner :)

Dave

Now that's not daft!!!! To be continued....  

Thanks,

Olly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

If you take the panel off you could swop the focus and reticle sockets if there's enough slack on the cables, may confuse a future owner :)

That's what I'd do - I wouldn't take a Dremel to it under any circumstances! Shocking design - good ol' Meade!!

• Like 1

Hi Olly

I don't think your plug is original.

Mine is very low profile and doesn't stick out above the horizontal top face, so would miss your deep fork arms.

Also I believe the sockets are soldered onto the pcb so can't be swapped - might be wrong though.

I see the Meade knockers are out......... :-)

Michael

True, the right angle plug on Davey-T's photo looks less chunky than the one on 14", could an ultra low profile plug be the answer, assuming one can be sourced?

Meade knockers? I remember reading an article on a big Meade vs Celestron shootout in S & T back in the early 90's just before I left astronomy alone for 20+ years.

Who won out in the end?

7 minutes ago, tomato said:

Meade knockers? I remember reading an article on a big Meade vs Celestron shootout in S & T back in the early 90's just before I left astronomy alone for 20+ years.

Who won out in the end?

Okay, I give in, who did win?

Michael

10 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Olly

I don't think your plug is original.

Mine is very low profile and doesn't stick out above the horizontal top face, so would miss your deep fork arms.

Also I believe the sockets are soldered onto the pcb so can't be swapped - might be wrong though.

I see the Meade knockers are out......... :-)

Michael

It does show every sign of being original. The other end goes directly into the focuser unit and doesn't seem to have been touched. The presence of the extra focuser socket on the tines, and not mentioned in the manual, suggests that they had a problem. Not to worry, it can be fixed one way or another.

The error is reprehensible but I must say that, after using the scope last night, I am thrilled to bits with it. I've had 8 and 10 inch Meade SCTs before. The 8 inch was 'okay,' the 10 better, but while the 10 pulled in the light you'd expect it to and the images were full of information, they lacked that emotional buzz which comes from tiny, pinpoint stars and a dark background. The 14  inch, however, really did deliver. It was a thrill to use and greatly, very greatly, surpassed my expectation. I'll review it in the appropriate part of the forum.

Olly

Hi Olly

"Appendix G:  14" LX200GPS Features - Auxilliary Jacks" are described in my copy of the Meade 8", 10", 14", 16" Instruction Manual...........

I'm surprised the jack is original. If yours was an old scope I could imagine  Meade started selling them with the wrong jack, but even Meade will have sorted that by now.

Michael

Had another look at my cable, it has a couple of inches of straight (non-spiral) cable before the plug, whereas yours is curly into the plug.

Which suggests to me that the original plug has been cut off and a new (wrong) plug put on the shortened cable.

But Davey-T's image shows a non-curly lead, so who knows for sure what's going on.

Michael

On 6/26/2017 at 08:51, ollypenrice said:

It does show every sign of being original. The other end goes directly into the focuser unit and doesn't seem to have been touched. The presence of the extra focuser socket on the tines, and not mentioned in the manual, suggests that they had a problem. Not to worry, it can be fixed one way or another.

We discussed this in your other thread on your LX200 and as I said there, if you googled for images of the focuser it becomes clear that the jack on yours is definitely not the original.

It doesn't surprise me that the jack may have been changed.  I used to have an LX90 and added the 1209 focuser (the one you have) as an accessory, but before that I had the 1206 motor focuser which wrapped around normal focusing knob.  The jack on the 1206 became faulty and I had to cut it off and replace it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, r3i said:

We discussed this in your other thread on your LX200 and as I said there, if you googled for images of the focuser it becomes clear that the jack on yours is definitely not the original.

It doesn't surprise me that the jack may have been changed.  I used to have an LX90 and added the 1209 focuser (the one you have) as an accessory, but before that I had the 1206 motor focuser which wrapped around normal focusing knob.  The jack on the 1206 became faulty and I had to cut it off and replace it. 

You may well be right. It's a shame that the alternative socket on the fork tine doesn't work. That would have been a good solution but Steve Richards is coming to my rescue, bless him.

Olly

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Here we are five years later and I too am setting up a 14" LX200R.  While my focuser works, I need to replace the cable.  So I have been reading this thread.  I trust once I open the micro focuser it will be obvious where to connect the, I assume three, wires.  If my guess is wrong, please let me know.

The discussion on the height of the plug was very helpful.