Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

AlistairW

Backfocus for Camera

Hello,

How important is getting the exact backfocus - I am fretting over 0.5mm at the moment. I know the test is to take an image and look at the star corners, but the weather isn't playing ball at the moment.

Alistair

If the backfocus is from camera to a FF or similar the you might need 0.1 mm accuracy, it certainly is like that with my scope.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

Alan, that's exactly my situation. It amazes me it needs such accuracy.

Edited by AlistairW

When i was struggling with my FF, i got some fine tuning spacers which in conjuction with various spacers got me to where i needed to be... I think i got them from FLO

I did a lot of trial and error with various types of adapters and spacers (some home made) to get it right but once found the adapter combo was never disassembled again.

Alan

I use Baader VariLocKs, infinitely adjustable.

Dave

9 hours ago, AlistairW said:

How important is getting the exact backfocus - I am fretting over 0.5mm at the moment. I know the test is to take an image and look at the star corners, but the weather isn't playing ball at the moment.

The precision needed will depend on the size of your camera's sensor and also the rate of convergence of the light cone, i.e. the F-ratio.
That is why the only true test is to take an image.

• Like 1

Stupid question: is it possible to determine whether or not you've got the back spacing correct on a daylight subject?  Otherwise can anyone tell me exactly what you're looking for in order to determine if you've got it right?

Edited by Notty

Notty,

Hopefully the pictures attached show what to look for with a star image ( I take no credit as i got this from a thread Sara Wager was on). No idea about daylight, unless you can use an artifical star (?)

image.png

• Like 1

On 06/06/2017 at 23:17, Davey-T said:

I use Baader VariLocKs, infinitely adjustable.

I've just been introduced to the joy of these... exactly what I needed to make my flip mirror eyepiece parfocal with the camera... also to replace a camera adapter on a Hyperstar with a Baader UFC filter system.  Now there you do need sub-millimetre (not to say micron) accuracy!