Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M97 - Owl Nebula in Bicolour (HOO)

gnomus

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Steve to a very nice owl - I belong to those finding this object enigmatic and even beautiful!

I think it is stunning what you managed to capture with a 5" scope in twilight. The level of detail is not far behind the 78"-scope image I posted two week sago (yes, the infamous Liverpool Telescope) and your image is ahead with regard to the outer shell.

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Congratulations Steve to a very nice owl - I belong to those finding this object enigmatic and even beautiful!

I think it is stunning what you managed to capture with a 5" scope in twilight. The level of detail is not far behind the 78"-scope image I posted two week sago (yes, the infamous Liverpool Telescope) and your image is ahead with regard to the outer shell.

Thanks very much for your comments Goran.  I was quite chuffed with it.  I'd like to give it even more focal length but these Tec 180s are a tad on the pricey side!  I wonder if we could persuade SkyWatcher to make one?

23 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Thanks very much for your comments Goran.  I was quite chuffed with it.  I'd like to give it even more focal length but these Tec 180s are a tad on the pricey side!  I wonder if we could persuade SkyWatcher to make one?

Why not go for a large achromatic refractor? Costs much less than a TEC (but looks equally impressive) and should do the job as long as you refocus for each filter. Something like this:

http://www.dgoptical.com/refractor.htm

Archived