Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Storing Reflector Telescope

OK, a really stupid question but just want to check! As long as my telescope (reflector) has dust cover and eyepiece cover on then storing it upright in a vertical position should be fine ? It won't cause other issues with the mirrors aside from dust?  

yea no worries, providing they are supported not to fall its fine, as said above a lot of us store them laying down or upright, the main thing is the covers to stop dust etc, mind you easier to clean than a newt.

also yes, no silly questions just silly answers :)

For large dobs, it's probably best to store the mirror resting on all of the support points of its mirror cell by having it face upward.  Over time, glass will flow (look at antique window panes, they're wavy), so storing it upright might cause issues with the mirror figure long term (decades).

3 hours ago, TessicaStar said:

Thank you Dark Knight and Louis.  My telescope isn't a dobsonian - it is a skywatcher explorer 130 so a newtonion reflector (I have it on an EQ2 mount but take it off it to store). 

No worries there.  It's small and light enough that it probably doesn't matter as long as the tube is capped.  My 19 year old dob's mirror has very little dust on it after all these years of use and capped storage.  I just wouldn't recommend storing it near a clothes dryer.  The lint tends to settle on everything nearby despite the lint filter and exhaust vent.

I have a 150mm f/5 Newtonian.  In addition to the dust cap on the front, I envelop the back end with a shower cap...

591f3ae539adb_showercap.jpg.013a34b1d8965b77353a9c917561771d.jpg

:D

For a 130mm, I would think that a child's shower cap should suffice, perhaps.

My 200P Dob has shower caps (the cheap ones from hotels) over the default dust caps, then a cotton bed sheet, under a  heavy duty plastic sheet, stored in its own cupboard!

It remains almost spotless throughout the year!

+1 for shower caps. I store my skywatcher 150p in the shed, shower cap on each end, mirror at the top, sat on top of the tool box where I have all the eyepieces and bits. I have a bungee keeping the scope safely against the shed side so it doesn't topple over. 

Shower caps from wilkinsons, about £1.50 each

Archived