NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13 with 150 pds and DSLR

I've given up on the refractor for a bit and used the 150 pds for the first time in ages. The focal length does give more detail for targets like this...

39 X 4 min collected over 2 nights, iso 800, dithered, DSS and PS. flats and bias. Think I'll give it a rest for a good few weeks now as it is approaching zero astro dark and the clouds are really outstaying their welcome.

5919a4d64b4c8_M13150pds.thumb.png.1b556ac9e9d4ac6012d0a99556d28ea3.png

Here is the same target taken with the 72 ED-R last week for comparison. I prefer the stars with the newt... Think I'll save the frac for those larger nebulas..

5919a53532027_CloseupM13.thumb.png.0711bc88ce2dd72e535682d9336400c2.png

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

The 150PDS image is superior without any question. 

I've never been really happy with the results from the frac. As well as coma, despite the use of a flattener, the stars always see blobby compared to the newt. I dont know if i need to cut the iso or sub length to improve it or the 150 pds is just a sharper cleaner scope...

I should say, the 72 ed-r image was captured in full moon, so i shouldn't judge the scopes performance on that image alone. Also, at double the focal length, i'd expect more detail in the newt image...

I like both of them but I agree with you guys and prefer the greater detail / sharper stars in the first one.  Having said that, without the comparison, I think that the second image is still very good.

yes both images are very good but i think on stars newts are just that bit sharper but on fracs no defraction spikes its just a personal choice but that being said newts are Better :tongue:

Nice image, no wonder why one member in another forum recommended me a newt, but not 150, he recommended me with 200pds newt, because i was thinking for planet visual beside my main interest which is DSO imaging, so he told me that 200pds will give me both for reasonable price and good start from my ST80 until i can afford ED ref-scopes.

6 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

Nice image, no wonder why one member in another forum recommended me a newt, but not 150, he recommended me with 200pds newt, because i was thinking for planet visual beside my main interest which is DSO imaging, so he told me that 200pds will give me both for reasonable price and good start from my ST80 until i can afford ED ref-scopes.

The 200pds would give great views and images, but it isn't half big and heavy!

16 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

the stars always see blobby

Hi. Yeah, it helps to see the images together. I'd never known how to describe what I called 'refractor stars'; blobs. I just switched too and found that refractors make good guidescopes!

I might give this target a go, even with astro twilight. Thinking I might put the ASI 1600 on the 130 Photoline with the TS flattener at 910mm and give it a real bash. The plate scale is near as dammit the same as the Dawes limit.

The DDM60 will easily track better than that.

Archived