Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

Guy Wells

Near-Earth asteroid 2014 JO25

13 posts in this topic

Potentially Hazardous Asteroid 2014 JO25

We observed this large Near Earth asteroid again last night, when it was very bright at +11.6 mag. It was crossing our field of view in about 20 minutes, so we imaged it moving through three different star fields in less than an hour!

The lightcurve that we obtained from our images covers about one fifth of a full rotation. 2014 JO25's lightcurve shows the typical features of an elongated object, as it brightens and fades over the course of a rotation. The shape and rotation period were first seen in radar images taken at Arecibo observatory a few days ago.

Our lightcurve of 2014 JO25 is currently the only one in the database.
The lightcurve database: http://alcdef.org

_2014_JO25_001C_c_d_233_DBE_DBE.png

2014 Jo25.png

Jo25 LC.png

JO25-3.gif

8 people like this

Fantastic work Guy, really interesting stuff. Love the video.

I guess it depends how you see things as to whether you can describe mag 11.6 as really bright! ;)

2 people like this

It is likely to be the brightest object that we deal with this year. The majority of our work is fainter than 18th magnitude. 

1 person likes this

Excellent information Guy, makes my timelapse look amateurish, I'm surprised there aren't more images around considering all the publicity and clearish skies.

Dave

1 person likes this

Very nice indeed! It was cloudy here, so I missed it. It would have been an easy target for the C8.

1 person likes this

Guy,

Brilliant work and captures, the video particularly.

I would have loved to have even viewed, never mind imaged this object. Unfortunately clouds had other ideas.

very well done again.

1 person likes this

Excellent report and work Guy :icon_biggrin:

I was pleased to glimpse this one myself for a short while.

1 person likes this

I managed to capture the asteroid on Wednesday eve. Here is a short edit showing it`s real time movement. Taken with a Watec 120N+  video camera through a C9.25.

I believe the two stars it is passing is TYC 3025-01044-1 and TYC 3025-00866-1.

https://youtu.be/L64lbe09OBE

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Phil Fargaze said:

I managed to capture the asteroid on Wednesday eve. Here is a short edit showing it`s real time movement. Taken with a Watec 120N+  video camera through a C9.25.

I believe the two stars it is passing is TYC 3025-01044-1 and TYC 3025-00866-1.

https://youtu.be/L64lbe09OBE

Nicely captured Phil.

Dave

PS: Are you going to Hersty this year ? I see they're offering a discount for early booking by the end of this month.

I don't think I'll be going herstmonceax this year. Yes I did notice the early booking discount.

Potentially Hazardous Asteroid 2014 JO25

We follow this remarkable Near Earth asteroid as it is moving away from Earth and fading. It will soon be too far south to be seen from Z48 and Z80, but last night it was still visible and as bright as +13.4 mag.

2014 JO25.gif

2014 JO25.png

Edited by Guy Wells
2 people like this

Farewell 2014 JO25.

+1 mag fainter.
Low declination.

JO25.png

Edited by Guy Wells
2 people like this

Half a magnitude fainter last night. That is the last time that we shall observe this PHA. The next 'close' pass is 12-04-2020, at 0.16AU. It won't be observable from our location again, at least while I am still here!