Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Thanks, Olly

I think I was still typing an 'Edit' after false clicking half way through! Now the full post seems to have vanished again. Ho hum. I was just saying that I think Wim and Adreneline are on the right lines. Doesn't PI have a 'Remove Canon Banding' function? There is vertical banding in the background. I'd use Noel's Actions in Photoshop for that fix.

Emyliano, there are lots of good Ps plug-ins. Russ Croman's Gradient Xterminator will help with gradients and backgrounds. Rogelio's Hasta la Vista Green is useful on many colour processing jobs.

Olly

25 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I think I was still typing an 'Edit' after false clicking half way through! Now the full post seems to have vanished again. Ho hum. I was just saying that I think Wim and Adreneline are on the right lines. Doesn't PI have a 'Remove Canon Banding' function? There is vertical banding in the background. I'd use Noel's Actions in Photoshop for that fix.

Emyliano, there are lots of good Ps plug-ins. Russ Croman's Gradient Xterminator will help with gradients and backgrounds. Rogelio's Hasta la Vista Green is useful on many colour processing jobs.

Olly

The mysteries of sgl software...

PixInsight has a CanonBandingReduction script which is a cureall for any line defects. It only works on horizontal lines, so you have to rotate the image to cure vertical bands.

2 hours ago, wornish said:

Here is a version I did with a demo version of Startools, with a final tweak in PS.  

I had to crop it somewhat to keep Startools happy.

Startools-version.jpg

I dont know how you guys do it but I'm never able to get any blue out of my galaxies. I shot M81, M51, M65 and M101 and they are mostly red.

1 hour ago, emyliano2000 said:

I dont know how you guys do it but I'm never able to get any blue out of my galaxies. I shot M81, M51, M65 and M101 and they are mostly red.

Colour correction. In PixInsight you'd use colour calibration with the galaxy as white reference. I'm sure there are similar methods in startools and ps.

Have a look here

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/DIGTECHS.HTM

I just spent 4 hours in front of StarTools to try and get something more decent out of the image but with very, very poor results, much worse than what I got from PS. And still no blue. I wanted to save the image so I can post the result here but I couldn't.:BangHead:

Don't be disheartened. Firstly you would need to check you used the right options in DSS, this can be found on the StarTools forum the settings to use. There is also a great blog by a member giving a starting run through for using StarTools which also includes the right DSS settings thinking about it.

15 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Don't be disheartened. Firstly you would need to check you used the right options in DSS, this can be found on the StarTools forum the settings to use. There is also a great blog by a member giving a starting run through for using StarTools which also includes the right DSS settings thinking about it.

Thanks for encouraging me. I used the same file that I posted here on the first page for whoever wants to have a go at it. I know you are using StarTools too happy-kat, could you give it a try and see what you can do with it. I really like alacant's result in StarTools and wornish got so much blue that I don't seem to get when processing.

Thanks

Emil

3 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Hi guys. 

Any of you want to try my m101 on pixinsight. I'd be interested to see the results. I use only Lightroom! M101 Median.TIF

It only has a limited amount of subs around a 31@120. 

Wasnt the best sky but no moon! 

Gerry

A very quick go in Pixinsight.

The Tif file you shared is only 8 bit so lacks fine detail.  If you are stacking in DSS then for best results in PI save in FITS.  or 16bit Tifs as a second choice.

M101_Median_pi2.jpg

4 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Hi guys. 

Any of you want to try my m101 on pixinsight. I'd be interested to see the results. I use only Lightroom! M101 Median.TIF

It only has a limited amount of subs around a 31@120. 

Wasnt the best sky but no moon! 

Gerry

Hello Gerry. I tried to process your tif file but it would not open for me in either PS ("did not recognise file type" error) or PI ("bad magic number" error - whatever that is!).

Adrian

1 hour ago, wornish said:

A very quick go in Pixinsight.

The Tif file you shared is only 8 bit so lacks fine detail.  If you are stacking in DSS then for best results in PI save in FITS.  or 16bit Tifs as a second choice.

M101_Median_pi2.jpg

Thanks a lot! Still looks nice. I took it directly from my iPad so I guess that's why. My computer is so old that it needs a crank handle to run!

Thanks for trying. 

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

Hello Gerry. I tried to process your tif file but it would not open for me in either PS ("did not recognise file type" error) or PI ("bad magic number" error - whatever that is!).

Adrian

I had the same issue but managed to open it on my Mac with Preview then re saved it so I could open it in Pixinsight.    I think its an 8 bit tif version

Archived