Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trusty HEQ5

zicklurky

Almost 4 years old, my trusty HEQ5 is still going strong. Recently I changed from a Star 71 to an APM 107/700 and reducer. I was worried about the weight as it's around 9-10kg with everything loaded on the mount (and from 2.18 to 1.43 arcsec/px), but it's dealt with it admirably. Sure, the tracking is not as good as a premium mount, but if you get the basics right - good polar alignment and balance - you can get pretty good results. 

Screenshot_2017-04-07-21-19-33.thumb.jpg.353c8dfea8dba6a619aaffbd6482ba84.jpg

I had my one around 5 years and running at 10 to 11.5 kg same  as your screen print,  then I got the az eq6 gt  bad move,  heq5 pro was much better in every way. I got the new mount in Nov  and only been out side for 30 mins.  I sold the HEQ5  hoping I may use this new one  but no I just give up  going out . So keep your mount as long as you can .

• 2 weeks later...

Nice graph, especially considering the payload! I love my HEQ5, it's never let me down. It has to have one of the best performance to cost ratios in the bottomless money pit that is AP. :icon_biggrin:

On 4/19/2017 at 18:31, MattJenko said:

Looking really good. Loving that new scope choice too. Have you done the belt mod for it? Something to consider if not, as it just made my HEQ5 feel better alround.

Yeah I've done the belt mod, best upgrade for that mount in my books. If nothing else, the slewing sound is so much nicer!

Archived