Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 6 4 2017

runoffshed

Have been enjoying having a go at Jupiter with my new asi 120 colour camera which seems ridiculously good for the money; this is with an old Vixen 4" and barlow.  My problem is that when I get the raw image into wavelets I really have no idea how to proceed but saw a useful post about only using the top two sliders and this has really helped.  Last night I also used an Omegon flip mirror for the first time.  They do 2 versions and I can't recommend their cheaper version as there are no collimation screws and it was miles out.  

Jup 6 4 2017 25% ver.jpg

I guess you're using registax, since you're talkimg about wavelets.

Firstly, I'd suggest to switch to autostakkert2 for the stacking process, it's much better and reliable.

Then, open the staked image in registack, for wavelets only. The wavelets process is weird, I agree, and it's not easy to understand what's really going on..

For what I understood the wavelets enhance details from the finest (top wavelet) to the coarsest (bottom wavelet).

I usually try to raise each one of them little by little, then fune tune everything, then raise a little (to 0.5 or 1.0) the "denoise" flag until the image doesn't seem look "overprocessed"

And finaly, I use an unsharp mask (gimp, or whatever image editor you like).

Anyway, I agree with Neutron Star, it's a really good image to start with! Keep up the good work :)

Thanks so much Michael and Gulinux for the helpful suggestions - very much appreciated.

Yes, the colour is something else I struggle with but I will have a go with the autobalance.

I do actually use Autostakkert 2...although I'm sure I can get more out of it with better understanding / knowledge...but will definitely try your suggestions on the Registax wavelets.  I've never attempted an unsharp mask but will have a go as well.  

Once again, thanks so much for all the useful info.

John

A neat trick in Registax is to tick the dydadic button in wavelets oprions (as opposed to linear) and then just use the #3 slider to sharpen.

You could also use the RGB align function, just expand the green box to encompass your planet and then hit the estimate button.

Archived