Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It rains Chains in the Spring

Ishan Mair

I went to explore the dark skies of my future observatory site. Not pristine but decent I'd say. Since the galaxies are taking on the sky, I present (yet another) Markarian's Chain. 
Lights:
20 x 240s  @ ISO 800
Flats, Darks & Bias.
Processed with PI. It was a faster processing. My last image of the Owl nebula, that galaxy (oh I forgot the number) and Comet 41P is still being processed.
How nice a way to say I've given up !

The details in the galaxy aren't well resolved. I didn't try Deconvolution on this one. But it may also be the small aperture (5") and modest imaging scale 1.67 arcsec/pixel.
Would love to get your comments & criticism. Its good to be at the receiving end once in a while.

Ishan.

Markarian_s_Chain_clone.jpg

Nice image. There is something going on on the top and left edge on my screen as well. I also feel you might benefit from more subs and/or longer exposure times to reduce the noise in the outer parts of the larger galaxies.

Cheers,Ian

3 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Nice image but on my screen it looks a bit too yellow and there's something going on on the top and left edges.

Peter

Yes. It seems too yellow to me as well. I don't know how to correct it. The edges are due to bad framing after the meridian flip. I tried to get rid of it but I didn't succeed in eliminating that.

2 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Looks a promising site. Well done! :) 

2 minutes ago, iansmith said:

Nice image. There is something going on on the top and left edge on my screen as well. I also feel you might benefit from more subs and/or longer exposure times to reduce the noise in the outer parts of the larger galaxies.

Cheers,Ian

Thanks Ian. You beat me to post :icon_biggrin:. I did have a lot of time. Had planned for 50 4 min exposures. But the soft ground was ruining the guiding. Ended up with lot of exposures in the bin. The edges are noisy due to change in framing after meridian flip.

6 hours ago, Ishan Mair said:

Thanks Ian. You beat me to post :icon_biggrin:. I did have a lot of time. Had planned for 50 4 min exposures. But the soft ground was ruining the guiding. Ended up with lot of exposures in the bin. The edges are noisy due to change in framing after meridian flip.

With all the things that can go wrong it's a wonder anybody gets anything ? You did well to get the image you have.

Cheers, Ian

15 hours ago, iansmith said:

With all the things that can go wrong it's a wonder anybody gets anything ? You did well to get the image you have.

Cheers, Ian

I think my sentence "You beat me to post" got misunderstood. What I meant was that while I was typing you posted so I didn't see your post until after submitting mine. I, too, wonder often how great it is that we can capture this ancient light.

1 hour ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Its good work for the data - this area really benefits from lots of long exposures - this helps resolve the detail nad many smaller galaxies.

Yes. That's the first thing I noted. There's hardly any detail in the galaxies.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Bruce

6 hours ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

Hi there, I had a try at reducing some of the noise which reduced some bloom and "maybe" teased out a little definition of the galaxies..?

You made a big difference. If you'll share the exact details, it will be a great help. I'm always been struggling with noise reduction.

Opened your .jpg in "Gimp" (free paintshop style program).

Step1 Duplicate the layer!

Step2 Set top layer mode as "Multiply" in the "layer mode section" in the red box!

Step3 Slide the opacity setting on the top layer mode to reduce the effect.    (62% for your image). In the green box!

You can see in my screenshot 100% opacity removes all noise but at a high loss of fine dust detail...test other layer modes like Screen/Overlay/Addition.jUntitled.thumb.png.474f7546bcc3b1d55f0235f491860291.png

Thanks Bruce. Nice method. I have only Pixinsight installed. I'll try out Gimp. But it didn't take long to convert the method for Pixinsight. I tried it on an Andromeda image. Worked fairly well. My images tend to have low contrast a I don't clip the blacks that aggressively to hide the noise.

1 hour ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

Opened your .jpg in "Gimp" (free paintshop style program).

Step1 Duplicate the layer!

Step2 Set top layer mode as "Multiply" in the "layer mode section" in the red box!

Step3 Slide the opacity setting on the top layer mode to reduce the effect.    (62% for your image). In the green box!

You can see in my screenshot 100% opacity removes all noise but at a high loss of fine dust detail...test other layer modes like Screen/Overlay/Addition.

Archived