Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One year on. My first year imaging deep space.

It's been 12 months since my first image was produced from stacking multiple images. It was M 51 with my Canon 1200D, a 150P reflector on a Star discovery Alt-Az mount.

M51-2.thumb.jpg.7b7934d575cba29c2c7c6c23196904cf.jpg 

I still consider myself a beginner but have a greatly improved knowledge of deep space and astrophotography.

Since April last year I have probably spent close to if not over couple of thousand £'s on bits and pieces, a new refractor, a new mount, a new camera or 2, a new guidescope, new PC, lenses and the list goes on :) 

I was hooked from the first view through my 8" Dob November 2015 at Orion. I only started imaging to get a bit better look at what I could see through my scope, then I soon realised that was not enough, there was more than that available from my light polluted back garden. From the start I was totally amazed at what my cheep scope and entry level DSLR could capture. I never realised these objects could be imaged from the average back garden.

I soon was self modifying my Canon 1200D which went a little bit wrong, I shorted out the main PCB when re assembling the camera. The camera was out of action. I had to go a buy the wife a new camera so I could continue imaging while I started to repair the other :) 

Now I just want stuff :) new CCD, new mount , couple of new scopes, back garden observatory :)  They will all come in good time.

With a ton of help from many kind people in this forum I improve little by little. If it wasn't for the No EQ DSO challenge thread I might have missed the chance completely.

I have recently bought a second hand EQ3 Pro and a new Equinox 80 ED Pro refractor with a field flattener, another small step forwards for me.

Auto guiding was a leap forward from the very first try 6 weeks ago, everything worked as it should, I could now take longer exposures, I could keep every sub, even setting up is quicker than my Alt-AZ mount once the initial positioning of the mount an polar alignment was done.

With every bit of new equipment comes new challenges, I love a challenge and to try and solve problems.

My images are a long way from CCD and observatory images but they please me no end. I have posted my 10 favourite first year images from both Alt-AZ and guided EQ3, reflector and refractor scopes, modified and non modified cameras.

I always look forward to the next clear night, sometimes its a long time coming with cloud cover being the norm.

I don't know why but I seem to choose expensive hobby's. Sailing is my other.

If only a tracking mount for a yacht at sea existed it would be a perfect world :) 

Thanks for looking

Nige.

AutosaveM13_edited.thumb.jpg.b2fc703922b9f770a3840d790f35caaa.jpgm42new.thumb.jpg.f82d363087720b1f786f0d9ca9b77c4c.jpgmonkey2.thumb.jpg.9801795494b077c83c566294f3aaa043.jpgm31-80ed.thumb.jpg.d46ccbabf1aaf69e0a45db3ed19d14e8.jpgrosette80ed2.thumb.jpg.b02b965645c57ea3cade1045edf8229e.jpg

cone80ed.thumb.jpg.f511c75b94005da35c9b71191fc1554c.jpgcali80edbest70_5_edited.thumb.jpg.69fb489049e2712cfd7db810ffb88d2f.jpgM1mod.thumb.jpg.b16ced57e2b290bf44d96b12285d3272.jpgtadpole.thumb.jpg.744900f16ca8ae9e7810a0bd1f8ddf48.jpg

monkeytohorsemosaic1.thumb.jpg.97cd10a1eb8f667deef70e5e475c4fb9.jpg

Hi Nigel, I have met you at several Kelling Star parties but didn't realise you were new to imaging.   You've done great in your first year, a lovely presentation.  Hope you are going to start a website to keep a permanent record of it all.  

Carole 

1 hour ago, vitruvian said:

Great post. Great motivation too. Can I ask what software you use?

Thank you.

I use Canon EOS utility for capturing, PHD2 for guiding, Deep Sky Stacker for stacking. Startools for processing and Photoshop for polishing off.

I have tried other processing software, all have different features which work better than others but always go back to StarTools which I know best.

44 minutes ago, carastro said:

Hi Nigel, I have met you at several Kelling Star parties but didn't realise you were new to imaging.   You've done great in your first year, a lovely presentation.  Hope you are going to start a website to keep a permanent record of it all.  

Carole 

Hi Carole, thanks, That must be another Nigel :) I haven't been to a star party yet. There is another Nigel on here who also has the clangers as a profile picture :) 

I have only a FB page at the moment but will setup a blog soon on my website.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Nigel.

Archived