SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Isle of Man Star Party September 2017

Hello Guys

Please could you folk out there give me some idea on who would like to attend a Star Party / Camping Weekend on the Isle of Man, organised  by:  Isle of Man Astronomical Society.

Our Website:   http://www.iomastronomy.org/

We do have not have firm date as yet, but we are possibly aiming for the weekend of Friday 15th to Sunday 17th September 2017.

More details to follow soon in due course...

Isle of Man Astronomical Society Website:   http://www.iomastronomy.org/

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Dates are one thing.  My immediate question would be about the rest of the logistics involved in getting to the IOM in the first place.  Where would the party take place?  What facilities?  What's the ferries like?  What would the costs be (campsite, ferry, etc)?

52 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

Dates are one thing.  My immediate question would be about the rest of the logistics involved in getting to the IOM in the first place.  Where would the party take place?  What facilities?  What's the ferries like?  What would the costs be (campsite, ferry, etc)?

Hello Colin.

PM Sent.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

1 hour ago, obrazell said:

September perhaps not the best time as that clashes with the largets star aprty in the UK at Kelling

Owen

Hi Owen

Thank you for the message.

We plan to have our event starting on Friday 15th September  until the Monday 18th September 2017. Arriving after 2.30pm on the Friday and departing no later than 2.30pm on the Monday. I will be posting the full details on location etc next week as is only a fixed date and location as yet. All links and full event details to follow next week.

Best regards,

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Hi Hadyn,

Great to hear that you are arranging an IoM star party. 

I must give it some serious consideration once you have more details available.

I am planning to be in Galloway for the November 2017 Star Party. (really dark sky at Drumroamin Camp Site.

As far as I can ascertain, the skies are darker than SGL at Lucksall, equal to Kelling outside of the two towns Douglas and Ramsey, Hadyn has been to SGL, so he should have a more definitive view of the dark sky situation.

Keep in touch.

Cheers

Adrian

PS  will the attendees get the opportunity of visiting the Observatory on the island.......

On 02/04/2017 at 08:38, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Hadyn,

Great to hear that you are arranging an IoM star party. 

I must give it some serious consideration once you have more details available.

I am planning to be in Galloway for the November 2017 Star Party. (really dark sky at Drumroamin Camp Site.

As far as I can ascertain, the skies are darker than SGL at Lucksall, equal to Kelling outside of the two towns Douglas and Ramsey, Hadyn has been to SGL, so he should have a more definitive view of the dark sky situation.

Keep in touch.

Cheers

Adrian

PS  will the attendees get the opportunity of visiting the Observatory on the island.......

Hello Adrian

PM sent to you...

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

15 minutes ago, hadyn42 said:

Hello Adrian

PM sent to you...

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hello Adrian

Sorry I forgot to mention about a tour around our observatory at Foxdale. All are welcome to come with me for a guided tour of the societies observatory!

More details to follow this coming weekend regarding the event. Just to say the location has been booked, just need to do a powerpoint presentation to our membership this Thursday night informing them of all the details,  as they do not have any details as yet!

Here is a link to the IOMAS Website:  https://www.steam-packet.com/

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hi Hadyn,

Hope the members of your IoM Astro group will be happy with the arrangements after tonight's meeting.

Looking at the Dark Sky app on my iPad, the north west of the IoM has fairly dark skies, better viewing than SGL at Lucksall, but not quite up to the standard of Galloway.

Plus, the daytime viewing the beautiful land and seascapes of the island.

Thanks for the PM.... I must respond soon. Even though I am retired, I have been every busy over the last few weeks.

Currently trying to get tent poles to replace the ones broken at Drumroamin.....!!!!!!

All the best with the star party planning.

Cheers

Adrian

Hello All

Event Update

Isle of Man Astronomical Societies:   Autumn Stargazing Camping Event.

Just to say the dates are now firm as Friday 15th until  Monday 18th September 2017.

Location: Ballamoar Campsite - Ballaugh - Isle of Man - Postcode: IM7 5JG

All Campsite Bookings and requirements please go through this link please?  http://www.ballamoarcampsite.im/

Telephone:  01624898323  Mobile: 07624499394.

Please say that you want to camp on the pitches  allocated to the guys from the IOMAS as we have a separate pitch area.

Please arrive on your pitch after 3pm and leave your pitch before 4pm on the day of your departure...

Ferry Booking Link:  https://www.steam-packet.com/

The ferries sale from either Liverpool  or Heysham.

All visiting Astronomers who would like a tour of our observatory in Foxdale, please let me know?

I hope I have attached a draft poster that has been shown to an audience last night at a Stargazing Evening on the top of our mountain to seventy guests!

Further Updates coming soon!

Best regards,  Hadyn - Isle of Man

BallaughStar Camp Poster2.jpg

Hi Hadyn,

Hope your star party goes off well. I checked out the ferry prices for us and the caravan. Sorry but way over the top and just cannot justify the expense. So I just hope it does fill up and you get good skies.

Derek

On 02/04/2017 at 00:05, PeterW said:

More starparties give people more oprions. What kind of skies do you have?

cheers

Peter

Hello Peter

We do have some really dark skies over here on the island. We plan to do some readings at the site in the next week. I visited the site on Easter Monday for an hour after dark and it the seeing was very good indeed!

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

On 17/04/2017 at 18:00, Physopto said:

Hi Hadyn,

Hope your star party goes off well. I checked out the ferry prices for us and the caravan. Sorry but way over the top and just cannot justify the expense. So I just hope it does fill up and you get good skies.

Derek

Hello Derek

I agree with you regarding the ferry prices. In September the prices are a bit cheaper than in mid summer, the problem is the extra length of the caravan Derek, a motorhome of up  to 5.5 mtrs long is the same price as  a car of that length.

We are hoping to get to Lucksall in October and Galloway in November, so starting to save up now, I am afraid that's the price we pay by living on an island, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Hope to see you in October if you go to the SGL Event.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

On 17/04/2017 at 17:37, jamie56 said:

Hi hadyn

Sounds a good one I would need to check diary as trying to plan holidays etc round the Galloway events and also get a wee bit in of Isle of skye nites as well.

Hello Jamie

Good to here from you, it seems you plan to get about a bit so that's great too. My wife Christina and I plan to visit the SGL Event in October and the GSP in Galloway in November. She  retires in October so can accompany me on my trips, the only drawback is that I cannot pack as much astronomy gear into the camper after she retires! Please keep that quiet, she must not know! ha, ha.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hi Hadyn,

Glad to hear that you and Christina are keeping well. Trust that you are not doing abnormal mileage on the island, establishing the the darkness of the sky!!!!!!!

You could still take the same amount of astro gear, Christina is fit enough to run after the camper van.......

Hope to meet up in September.

Cheers

Adrian

3 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Hadyn,

Glad to hear that you and Christina are keeping well. Trust that you are not doing abnormal mileage on the island, establishing the the darkness of the sky!!!!!!!

You could still take the same amount of astro gear, Christina is fit enough to run after the camper van.......

Hope to meet up in September.

Cheers

Adrian

Hello Adrian

Thank you for the message.

I have been down to the campsite a few times now checking out viewing the skies conditions, which I think are very good indeed and I think that you will be very impressed too! Have you managed to have a look at the campsite details at all? I will try and attach an aerial shot of the place... 

As I mentioned before if you able to arrive on the island on say Monday 11th September and stay with Christina and I and then go down to the campsite with Christina and I on Friday 15th and do some Stargazing and Astrophotography  over the weekend, that would be great. Please let me know as I need to book you in with our society as my guest, that's if you can handle being with a couple of Manxies  for over a week!

Best regards,

Christina and Hadyn

Ballamoar Campsite Isle of Man Google Maps.png

Hi Hadyn,

I am currently talking to the kids about looking after the dog for the September period.

I looked at the campsite website and did a search on the Dark Skies app. The skies look promising...... darker than Lucksall....

I will make my mind up in a week or two.

Cheers

Adrian

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Hadyn,

I am currently talking to the kids about looking after the dog for the September period.

I looked at the campsite website and did a search on the Dark Skies app. The skies look promising...... darker than Lucksall....

Cheers

Adrian

Hello Adrian

Thank you for the reply.

I must say that the Ballaugh Campsite is far much better than Lucksall, but at a cost, its the Ferry crossing costs that puts the dampener on things!  Also I don't like to mention this in case Mike and the guys see it, our island has some really good dark sky sites and on just a personal note a bit better than Drumroamin. We are going to Lucksall and the GSP later on the year, but I think I may of mentioned that before.. We are hoping to go down and do some SQM reading next week and I will let you know the results in due course. Mark and I who are the main organisers are putting together a website for the event and that should be up and running next week too....

Just putting the finishing touches to an itinerary over this weekend. I do hope you can come Adrian,  you will really enjoy it!

Best regards,

Christina and Hadyn - IOM

On 19/04/2017 at 11:17, hadyn42 said:

Hello Jamie

Good to here from you, it seems you plan to get about a bit so that's great too. My wife Christina and I plan to visit the SGL Event in October and the GSP in Galloway in November. She  retires in October so can accompany me on my trips, the only drawback is that I cannot pack as much astronomy gear into the camper after she retires! Please keep that quiet, she must not know! ha, ha.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hi Hadyn,

Look forward to catching up later on in the year, glad your good lady can make the trip as well, take care .

On 20/04/2017 at 09:37, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Hadyn,

Cheers

Adrian

Hello Adrian

We hope all is well with you?

Mark and I went down to the  Ballaugh campsite last night again and done some observing as it was a lovely clear night. The village street lights were still on and they are only 200 mtrs away. We did some SQM reading at 11.30pm street lights still on and here are the results for Ballaugh and our observatory in Foxdale:

Campsite  10° SQM  21.70   42° SQM 21.65 @ 11.30pm -  Ballaugh Campsite.

Then the readings were done at the observatory in Foxdale  a little later at 1.15am....

Observatory 10° SQM  21.67   42° SQM 21.60  @ 1.15am - Foxdale Observatory.

Just to say Adrian that we noticed that all the street lighting goes out in the village of Ballaugh at 00.45 and  then the place is in complete darkness....

UPDATE: We have also got the loan of 6mtr by 15mtr marquee / tent as a place to hold lectures and demonstrations in etc etc, just in case the weather is not suitable for astrophotography and viewing etc.  We have have nearly finished putting together an itinerary too, more to follow soon.

Best regards,

Christina and Hadyn - IOM

Hi Hadyn and Christina,

Well Done!!

You are doing a lot of useful research for the IoM Star Party, which will pay dividends in September 2017 and for years to come.

I have just finished my cooking course at the Hospice of St Francis in Berkhamsted, I can now prepare and cook in a commercial kitchen.

The problem now is translating what I have learnt, to cooking on a MSR Dragonfly camping stove..... life is full of challenges.

Keep healthy....

Cheers

Adrian

Archived