Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fold out roof condensation

steviemac500

Hi guys,

My obsy is a shed type build with a roof that folds out at 45 degrees. It is steel frame with metal roof and my issue, because of Cyprus weather mainly, is that I get terrible condensation on the bare metal during the night. This means that when I fold the roof back, the water then cascades into the obsy. Not a problem in summer where it can remain open all day but a the moment with intermittent weather it is difficult to get it dry enough to close. Is there any type of rubber or material that I can attach to the inside of the roof to stop the condensation happening?

Thanks

Steve

1 minute ago, bunnygod1 said:

I had a similar problem on mine as well. I fitted some thin plywood and felt then refitted the metal roof. The problem has now been sorted.

Thanks for the reply. So plywood first then felt? How did you attach the plywood to the metal?

3 hours ago, steviemac500 said:

Thanks for the reply. So plywood first then felt? How did you attach the plywood to the metal?

My roof is a wooden  frame.  I  nailed down the  plywood  and felt  to it. Then screwed  the metal  over the  top of it.

12 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

My roof is a wooden  frame.  I  nailed down the  plywood  and felt  to it. Then screwed  the metal  over the  top of it.

Thanks Bunny. My obsy is all steel frame. I have found some info that suggests using polystyrene squares and spray glue. Has anyone tried this?

You can get 1200mm X 2400mm sheets of building insulation in various thicknesses but would probably need an expanding foam adhesive to hold the weight.

There is also spray on insulation but you'd need to take the roof off and lay it upside down to apply it.

You can fix to steel frame using self drill screws.

Dave

I just use rigid sheet insulation from the builders' yard. It's the modern equivalent of the old expanded polystyrene so it has almost no weight and can be stuck onto metal with contact adhesive or held in place by means of wooden batons (going, steel-insulation-baton.) It comes under all sorts of brand names and with assorted P values but it's readily available and easy to cut. It works perfectly for me. I'm sure if you go to any builders' merchant you'll find some. It isn't expensive.

Olly

Archived