Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQDIR

I'm not aware of anyone, which is probably why they are expensive.

It is possible to get the information to make your own and is reputed to be quite easy, but with the cost of a broken mount as the penalty, I bought one from OpticStar. :)

Mike

I could not find anybody else. I have (somewhere) the link that shows the circuit. It is a very very cheap device to make as far as I am aware. I felt that the cost was a bit much and I use the direct PC to handset connection.

Cheers guy's

I'll probably end up getting one from Opticstar, it's just that with two scopes a new mount and various other bits on the way I was hoping to save a few quid, some hope in this hobby though.... :)

If the new mount has the new style handset you can connect it to the PC without the need for the EQDir, that's how mine is setup

So you can use the eqmod without the need for the eqdir if you have the latest mount/handset etc is that right.

I'm not to good at making things Karlo, I'll probably end up getting one from Shoestring themselves

The cost of the eqdir plus an extension cable I'd want would be about £31 which compared to the UK price £45 would mean that I'd basically be getting the cable free.

So you can use the eqmod without the need for the eqdir if you have the latest mount/handset etc is that right.

Yes, that is correct. You do need to upgrade the hand controller firmware to v3.21 or higher to support "PC Direct mode", but thats not a difficult to to do.

Roy have a word with Steppenwolf- I'm sure he made his own and has plans on his w/site.

I did indeed produce my own from a product available off the shelf for £16.00 or so. Here is a link to the company and product - the second item down the page with the code ACT-SIB. Worked first time wit a simple wiring mod. and has continued to do so for at least 18 months and no flippin' handset to get in the way!

In fairness its listed as £31.20 at OpticStar which is slightly less than twice the price. You still need to get hold of the cable and pay postage so I agree it does all mount up.

Just sticking up for the supplier a bit, since they have been very helpful to me.

Mike

Roy have a word with Steppenwolf- I'm sure he made his own and has plans on his w/site.

I did indeed produce my own from a product available off the shelf for £16.00 or so. Here is a link to the company and product - the second item down the page with the code ACT-SIB. Worked first time wit a simple wiring mod. and has continued to do so for at least 18 months and no flippin' handset to get in the way!

Do you have details of the wiring mod you did?

Do you have details of the wiring mod you did?

This was very trivial, I didn't want to use the built in 12v power socket so I just soldered a 12v feed to the printed circuit board directly!

At just £31.00 I reckon I'd be tempted to buy the Shoestring one - I was a very early user and there was no commercial product available when I started using EQMod!

Shoestring used here since last Xmas - never a problem no matter where I put it in the cable spaghetti.

I owe a debt of gratitude to both George and Steppenwolf who both encouraged me to go down the EQMOD route - so thanks very much chaps. Its the bee's bendy bits.

In a way I was lucky - the firmware upgrade was not around last Xmas, so I automatically bought the Shoestring EQDIR.

Mike

PS Craig, you may be thinking of the GPUSB at £63.20 - interface between USB and the mount's autoguider port. Not relevant if you are pulse guiding.

Can I ask a question regarding EQMOD.

Is it simply to dispense with the hand control that makes it a desirable modification. As I understood, the handset is still an integral part of the component chain, even though it is not used as a contolling device in itself. or is there more too it than that. I'm just trying to get to understand what it is this wonderful innovation does that seems to make it so popular.

I don't want to disrupt this thread with dipstick questions, so you can tell me to go away and come back when I'll be less of a pest. :laughing2:

Ron. :)

Ron

The EQMOD does not need the handset to operate, and has more functionality that the basic handset - more alignment stars, automatic date/time settings, wireless pad support - just for starters. More is on the way as well.

Its a fair question, Ron. Replacing the hand controller is an option with the newer (flash upgradeable) handsets but a necessity with the older non-upgradeable handsets. Personally, I prefer to remove the hand-controller from the equation completely although this does necessitate the purchase of an RS232 to TTL protocol converter as like the EQDir discussed above.

What I like about the EQMod is that it gives total control of the mount from the PC using any ASCOM compliant piece of software including Planetarium software, MaximDL and so on. Additionally, because it is independent of the manufacturer of the mount (Synta) there is a continuous stream of add-ons and extra features coming on line, all for free!

The EQDIR does away with the need for the hand controller, when I changed to EQmod the option of interfacing via the handset was not available you had to use the EQDIR module. I would think taking the handset out of the chain would be one thing less to go wrong, also its less cluttered doing away with the handset.

Archived