NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Magic evening.

cotterless45

How soon the Moon wanes and leaves darker skies. Having a look around and some Messier's to start with. 
Looking west , Orion with M42 and the "37" cluster of NGC 2169, reversed in the frac view. Taurus, nearly upright with bright Aldebaran, Hyades and Pleiades and a view of M1. Auriga and a lovely view of M37, the jewel of these clusters. Into Perseus and the double cluster and over to Cassiopeia brushing the roof next door. 
In the north , Ursa Major standing on its tail with Canes Venatici, a bright Bode's and M94.
In the east Arcturus leading Bootes , up to M3. Leo high with two of the Triplet and the smudge of NGC 2903 in the head. South and Gemini showing the glow of M35 and down to the "Eskimo" NGC 2392.

Procyon on its own with The busy M44, the sparkle of M67. Tegmine showed a settled 1.1" separation at x100. After 10, Jupiter cleared the trees and houses. What a rich sky !
Some brightness thrown up from light pollution, the south taken by the night golf driving range. Decided to visit some (oh no!) binaries and triples.

49 Leonis gave a very delicate companion at 2.1", little wonder this has been described as planet like !
ΟΣ215 gave a 1.4" equal pair.
ΟΣ200 a lovely closer pair in a full field.
37 Lyncis gives a wide triple.
Two more triples in UMa, 65 Ursae Majoris and a wider 23 UMa. Thin high cloud drifted in with contrails showing that the moon was up , chasing Jupiter. 10pm , finish !
The binaries were lovely to catch at x50, it's quite magical to increase magnification and get them to prise apart  I don't think that I've seen a sky so full of constellations,under 
Clear skies !
Nick.IMG_4635.thumb.JPG.ca67f800c1e0782a1c15ea718b071747.JPGIMG_4636.thumb.JPG.3dff97cba37eab6c483cf65a3498bbfc.JPGIMG_4637.thumb.JPG.0a83973f5193fd1a515e5989f5caa50c.JPG

Nice one Nick, I was a bit unfortunate as these were the only 2 clear nights we have had in Northampton for some time now and typically I was away in Manchester !!! never mind I am sure there will be many more

Great report Nick and sketches too !

It was super here until mid-evening when a whopping fog bank rolled in and that was that :rolleyes2:

Real pity because the seeing was really good and steady for tight doubles and I could have gone on a lot longer.

I got dragged out to a dinner that had been arranged ages ago. Mrs73 was most insistent that a claer sky does not constitute a valid reason for cancelling.???

By the time we returned, the moon was high, but so was Jupiter! Had my first proper session of the season with the Big Fella and my new(ish) ED120. Best Jupiter views ever!! GRS jumping out and proper detail in the cloud belts. Magical !!!

Paul

Archived