NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter, 9 March

Size9Hex

I've posted this already in a report, but thought it might be of interest in the sketching section too.

Jupiter last night. It was good seeing higher in the sky, but Jupiter was still fairly low and a bit lacking in sharp detail. I used Procreate on iPad to fingerpaint this at the eyepiece and I particularly wanted to capture the colours and shading which were fascinating to study. Other than the hard circular mask, the techniques I used were all quite traditional. The sketch was a bit of an experiment, but I felt the tablet was a good medium for this purpose - now that it has warmed up enough for finger painting without frostbite...!

Hope it's interest, but comments (and critique!) welcome of course :-)

IMG_0118.thumb.PNG.38e33e28f96af8f690f8409c2c1f6787.PNG

28 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I'd be interested in your techniques. What do you use?

Finger painting using Procreate on iPad. It would be nice to upgrade to use a pressure sensitive stylus at some point which I think would allow more expression particularly in shading. I try to keep it fair and honest by not using techniques that have no counterpart in traditional drawing/painting. I've cheated a bit however by creating a template with a circular mask that allows me to easily paint inside the lines. I try not to undo mistakes, preferring to correct them with eraser or paint over them, but it's nice to have the option!

For the above, I used a soft brush with low opacity, layering up colours slowly from light towards dark.

I've only started with Procreate recently but I'm wondering if it might be quite suited in some ways to astro sketching - less mess than painting in the dark and well suited to putting light tones on a dark background. If only the screen didn't wreck your night vision! :-)

41 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

A very nice sketch Paul! It certainly looks like the eyepiece view of Jupiter while the planet is low and viewed through denser atmosphere. Can't fault it! :thumbsup:

Mike 

Thanks Mike. I really look up to your sketches which are a big part of what has inspired me to give sketching a go!

7 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Cool! I use an old school pencil :happy11:

The low tech simple approach is often best! :-) I think your white light solar sketches in particular are top notch by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived