Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Name of crater

After the usual problems of cloudy nights I have had two clear skies this week and of corse with my look I was in bed sick for a few days. Like most  people I keep an eye on the weather and today was to be good. So there I am in work looking at blue skies, so I go home put the kids to bed head out where I'm met by my friends.... The clouds,

rant over, in between the clouds I got a glimpse of the moon and in particular sinus iridium, at the end of this C shaped mountain range is at least one crater, does anyone know the name(s) of the this crater

Ger

Bianchini is on the edge of Sinus Iridum.

There are several apps you can download which will help you identify what you're seeing. Moon Globe and Moon Atlas, to name but two. Have fun.

20 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Hm... I'm guessing that neither of these are for Android. I have found a couple of others which I will evaluate and report back in due course.

Moon Globe is another Susie and I use Mike. And Moon Phase. Admittedly on iPhone and iPad... Maybe both might be available for Android. The "scope mule" can always demonstrate tomorrow...

25 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Hm... I'm guessing that neither of these are for Android. I have found a couple of others which I will evaluate and report back in due course.

And, if those aren't suitable, on the PC / laptop, we both use Virtual Moon Atlas 6.0 https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

There are numerous additional "textures" that can be downloaded to give even more detailed surface views. It's a bit of a faff downloading all the extra textures. But it's well worth it...:thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Racey said:

And, if those aren't suitable, on the PC / laptop, we both use Virtual Moon Atlas 6.0 https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualmoon/

There are numerous additional "textures" that can be downloaded to give even more detailed surface views. It's a bit of a faff downloading all the extra textures. But it's well worth it...:thumbsup:

Yes, I had discovered Virtual Moon and I use it on the laptop. It's very useful for study.

:icon_biggrin:

7 hours ago, Floater said:

Bianchini is on the edge of Sinus Iridum.

There are several apps you can download which will help you identify what you're seeing. Moon Globe and Moon Atlas, to name but two. Have fun.

Thanks floater

MoonMapPro is the one I used there, very nice app. There is an overview map to select which detailed map you want to view, then the two views, map plus photo. It is good, but often harder to pick out exactly where you are vs......

......Moon Phase Photo Map, the one Floater linked to is excellent for a quick, clear but less detailed look at craters along the terminator. I suspect I may have been the long forgotten SGL member who recommended it ;) 

IMG_9556.PNG

IMG_9557.PNG

IMG_9558.PNG

1 hour ago, Stu said:

MoonMapPro is the one I used there, very nice app.

Sadly it looks like this is no longer available on the UK App Store Stu. Looks a bit better than Moon Globe; but I'll have to stick with that for the time being. Hopefully it gets re listed at some point...

3 hours ago, Stu said:

......Moon Phase Photo Map, the one Floater linked to is excellent for a quick, clear but less detailed look at craters along the terminator. I suspect I may have been the long forgotten SGL member who recommended it ;) 

I believe it was, Stu. ??

Thanks all for the replies, I have put a couple of apps on my phone and will add one to my Ipad later, I really enjoy looking at the moon because he provides so much too look at, it is like a gift that keeps on giving.:hello2:

7 minutes ago, BXRO said:

Anyone catch the mountains of Jura last night about 19:30 GMT with their peaks lit but their bases in shadow

Or was I dreaming?

That was no dream. It was a beautiful sight.

Just now, BXRO said:

Anyone catch the mountains of Jura last night about 19:30 GMT with their peaks lit but their bases in shadow

Or was I dreaming?

Hi was stuck on this mountain range last night as it was very impressive and let to my original posting as I wanted to know more about the crater that sits at the end of it. Hope to take another look tonight to see what the view is like 

4 hours ago, Racey said:

Sadly it looks like this is no longer available on the UK App Store Stu. Looks a bit better than Moon Globe; but I'll have to stick with that for the time being. Hopefully it gets re listed at some point...

That's a shame :( 

Archived