Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First scope need advice!

JT 

Your right I had a quick look at A few US retailers and couldn't find this rig.  Aperture fever seems to be an issue with the smallest starting at 8" plus the mount.

Thats not the end of life as we know  it,  I started out with the 8" skywatcher explorer p and still use it as my main imaging scope on an Eq5 but that was right on the limit of what the mount could manage I now have the NEQ6  pro but the HEQ5 should cope well enough. 

IMHO you want a scope big enough in aperture to give a bit of a wow factor on moon and planets when doing visual but able to image DSO's when needed.  

Not sure what the total dollar outlay would be shipping from FLO to US but it should be within your budget.  

I'm pretty sure but I think there is a whole section dedicated to using the 150PDS on this forum somewhere to give you an idea of what it can do 

Gareth. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/7/2017 at 04:41, Alan64 said:

It is understandable that beginners tend to place visual and imaging in the same astronomical basket.  In reality, the two exercises are in two different baskets, in two different galaxies, light-millennia apart.  Imaging is the far more expensive exercise of the two.

With visual, you sit there at the telescope, pop in an ocular, and look at things, in real time, in the moment.  You not only see with your eye, but with your mind as well, and the mind soars.

With imaging, a camera takes the place of one's eye, but the camera must keep its "eye-lid" open without blinking, and all the while with the telescope and camera being held very rigidly in position as it tracks an object, impervious to the winds blowing it must be, whilst collecting the light of an object over varying periods of time, and over and over. Then you take all of those images and stack them into one image with a computer programme or programmes.

I would suggest one of these kits for visual initially...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=917581&gclid=CjwKEAiA0fnFBRC6g8rgmICvrw0SJADx1_zA3zd7LfgUF9rxGPpDwdbwiA8ViFeLFSfGwrPigvBDIxoC6QTw_wcB&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051677802%2C&is=REG&A=details

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=917562&gclid=CjwKEAiA0fnFBRC6g8rgmICvrw0SJADx1_zA4Ff_uU-nP0m2ci9zFgFpIBcvpkbSbFv3UkEjM20VVhoCrcvw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677802%2C&Q=&A=details

I am pretty keen on that VX8 Newtonian you sent there, and am seriously considering buying it. My concern is, how is this going to be for visual? Seeing that the astrophotography is going to be at minimum a few months or more down the road for me (but I would much rather get something that is going to be at least somewhat optimal for it), is this a good multi-purpose scope? In other words, will I be disappointed in what I see compared to say, a NexStar or the SCT you linked to?

Also, what are the most important accessories that I should buy right off the bat? I see Celestron offers a lot including a whole eyepiece kit, but is it better to just get specific ones individually? If so which are "essential"? Any thoughts on the Celestron NexImage as a very basic entry to imaging? Seems a little too cheap to be even halfway decent. Overall I'd like to keep total of accessories tp around or under $400. Thanks again, everyone.

58 minutes ago, JTmunmun said:

I am pretty keen on that VX8 Newtonian you sent there, and am seriously considering buying it. My concern is, how is this going to be for visual? Seeing that the astrophotography is going to be at minimum a few months or more down the road for me (but I would much rather get something that is going to be at least somewhat optimal for it), is this a good multi-purpose scope? In other words, will I be disappointed in what I see compared to say, a NexStar or the SCT you linked to?

Assuming the primary mirror is decently figured, a Newtonian will be more useful at a given aperture for visual than a catadioptric (like an SCT or MAK) because the focal ratio is shorter and the central obstruction is smaller.  The shorter focal ratio allows for a wider field of view and the smaller central obstruction throws less light energy into the outer diffraction rings, improving contrast on low contrast objects like Jupiter.  The downside is that the longer tube demands a better mount than the CAT because it will tend to exert more torque on the mount in any sort of wind.  That's where dobs shine for visual because they are so stable that wind doesn't affect them all that much.  If the mirror is from a super premium maker like Zambuto, Newts can provide sublime detail visually.  Of course, you'll pay dearly for one of those mirrors.  Checkout Starmaster dobs for instance.

Hello im new here just purchased a reflector telescope i need some imput on if it is a good starter scope. It's a Galileo G80080TR came with a 11/4" 6mm eyepiece and a 11/4 20mm eyepiece i wanted to purchase a barlow lense but don't know which to buy or how strong thanks for any help.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:55, Garethr said:

JT 

just had a thought 

DAVE in VERMONT is the GOTO guy in the US 

hopefully he will be along again soon in this thread 

Gareth.  

Skywatcher is pretty new in the US, and we don't have all the Skywatcher scopes available that you have in the UK/Europa. This is the likely reason you're not finding it.

On a positive note, Omegon has started selling Maksutov-Cassegrains in the US. And at very attractive prices, too. Such as $219 for the 90mm on a table-top Dobsonian mount. That's a first for me!

Happy Hunting,

Dave

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

Hello im new here just purchased a reflector telescope i need some imput on if it is a good starter scope. It's a Galileo G80080TR came with a 11/4" 6mm eyepiece and a 11/4 20mm eyepiece i wanted to purchase a barlow lense but don't know which to buy or how strong thanks for any help.

Welcome Rudy.

best to start your own thread so you get tailored responses for your question, and don't risk side tracking this one, but very quickly: your 6mm gives133x magnification and is really the limit of your telescope, so don't barlow this. A 10mm eyepiece or a 2x barlow with your 20mm EP will probably be your next best - this will give you 80x mag

16 hours ago, JTmunmun said:

Also, what are the most important accessories that I should buy right off the bat? I see Celestron offers a lot including a whole eyepiece kit, but is it better to just get specific ones individually? If so which are "essential"? Any thoughts on the Celestron NexImage as a very basic entry to imaging? Seems a little too cheap to be even halfway decent. Overall I'd like to keep total of accessories tp around or under $400. Thanks again, everyone.

I had gotten this 6" f/5 Newtonian back in the spring of 2013...

58c294a0c01fb_StarBlast6d.jpg.cc10672738621f530311409849f1bec0.jpg

I didn't really start using it until 2015, two years later.  I soon tired of lugging that particle-board mount around and transferred the Newtonian itself to a tripod-type alt-azimuth...

58c293da4ccb2_6f5db.jpg.79a08c3804a2a0722786c36b359a3b04.jpg

Afterwards, I had a blast with it, and in reaching magnifications up to 174x, at least, and with excellent results.  I can realise even higher powers once I start using it on my equatorial, but that's going to wait until I add a new focusser to the 6" f/5.  To date, this amounts to nothing more than a prop...

58c29b97d5675_6f5kitb.jpg.f9a04acc7f9caa5c4936fef7718fd686.jpg

...but to be a practical reality in future.

From what I know of the performance of my 6" f/5, you will very much enjoy an 8" f/5 for visual even more.  Incidentally, back in 2003, I custom-ordered an 8" f/5 Newtonian, and manufactured by Parks Optical of California, said company now defunct.  They were in business from the 1950s to the mid-2000s.  They didn't offer their 8" Newtonians in an f/5, ever, only f/4 and f/6, but they graciously agreed to craft my own...

58c295de53b83_finderscope5.jpg.424ef2c2290f39355149cf22d5cb8733.jpg

I have yet to observe with it, however, as it needs a mount.  I had purchased it to cure any future bouts of so-called "aperture fever", and by simply having it in my possession, even though I've never observed with it, it does its job as an elixir of sorts for said fever quite well.

Have a look at what Parks once offered, and now lost in time...

http://www.parksoptical.com/index2.php?cPath=21&cat=Telescopes

http://www.scopecity.com/brands.cfm?SearchBrandID=177&bn=Parks Optical&TopCategoryID=1&SubCategoryID=57&DisplayType=1&ManufacturerCategoryID=57

Incidentally, the Parks site, and that of its retail store, Scope City, are up still only for reference.  Orders cannot be placed on either, thankfully, as one might lose their money in so doing.

But I got my cookie from the jar.

If you purchased just the AVX, and a 6" f/5 Newtonian separately, you would lose a little visually, but the AVX could handle the 6" f/5 for imaging a good bit more.

Incidentally, have you ever collimated a Newtonian?  Such is essential for imaging, and for the higher and highest of magnifications during visual use.  Since you're considering a Newtonian, you might as well get a head start on the process...

http://www.forumskylive.it/Public/data/serastrof/201281510358_Astro Babys Guide to Collimation.pdf

Do not consider eyepiece sets, from either Celestron or Meade.  It's best to buy eyepieces individually, and build up a set over time; over the weeks, months, and years even.  Eyepieces are just that, and for the eye, and their selection is somewhat akin to getting a prescription for eyeglasses.

Agena Astro has a wide selection of eyepieces, at varying price points, and with free shipping on all orders of $10 and up...

http://agenaastro.com/

A 6" f/5 or 8" f/5 parabolic mirror is going to hunger for better-quality eyepieces, and in order to deliver pleasing views to the observer, but not ones that would break the bank.  I'll go into that in a bit more detail later, if you're interested, as it's now time for bed. 

4 hours ago, Alan64 said:

Do not consider eyepiece sets, from either Celestron or Meade.  It's best to buy eyepieces individually, and build up a set over time; over the weeks, months, and years even.  Eyepieces are just that, and for the eye, and their selection is somewhat akin to getting a prescription for eyeglasses.

Agena Astro has a wide selection of eyepieces, at varying price points, and with free shipping on all orders of $10 and up...

http://agenaastro.com/

A 6" f/5 or 8" f/5 parabolic mirror is going to hunger for better-quality eyepieces, and in order to deliver pleasing views to the observer, but not ones that would break the bank.  I'll go into that in a bit more detail later, if you're interested, as it's now time for bed. 

Thank you much for the detailed response, Alan. I kind of assumed as much regarding those eyepiece sets. Assuming I do go ahead with the AVX, what would one recommend as the most essential eyepieces and filters to start out with, keeping in mind my $500 accessory budget. The AVX comes with a 2" adapter and from what I can tell those seem to be better to use. All it comes with is a 1.25" Plössl 20mm eyepiece. Looking at costs on the site you posted, I can only get maybe 2. I guess one optimal for viewing planets and one optimal for viewing DSOs would make the most sense. Any specific suggestions? What about the Baader Hyperion 8-24 mm adjustable one - worth it? I am feeling overwhelmed looking at all the different options!

1 hour ago, JTmunmun said:

Thank you much for the detailed response, Alan. I kind of assumed as much regarding those eyepiece sets. Assuming I do go ahead with the AVX, what would one recommend as the most essential eyepieces and filters to start out with, keeping in mind my $500 accessory budget. The AVX comes with a 2" adapter and from what I can tell those seem to be better to use. All it comes with is a 1.25" Plössl 20mm eyepiece. Looking at costs on the site you posted, I can only get maybe 2. I guess one optimal for viewing planets and one optimal for viewing DSOs would make the most sense. Any specific suggestions? What about the Baader Hyperion 8-24 mm adjustable one - worth it? I am feeling overwhelmed looking at all the different options!

Don't get too hung up on 2" eyepieces right now.  If you want one, I'd recommend a 30mm to 40mm wide field one to help you find objects.  For under $120, they won't be perfectly corrected like a Panoptic or Nagler, but these would serve you well to get you started.

In your situation, I'd focus in on the Starguider series.  Affordable, good performance, 60 degree apparent field of view, good eye relief.  At $60 each, you can afford to get a range of focal lengths from 5mm for planets and globular clusters to an 8mm, 12mm, and 18mm for viewing mid-sized objects such as nebulae and open clusters.

My progression was an SLT130, then upgraded to the AVX mount to get the stability that mount provided.

Then changed to a 200m F5 Skywatcher 200P-DS astrograph.

That combination, AVX & 200P-DS, worked well, however, with a guide scope(Skywatch /camera and imaging camera was getiing toward 75% of the AVX mount's payload. 

Once I had added a focus motor to each OTA that was nearing 90%.

With careful balancing I found that this did work well. 

If you are imaging, particularly with a DSLR, I would recommend a Skywatcher astrograph and suggest a 130P-DS would a little lighter then the 200, making imaging a tad easier. There is also a 150mm patter model too.

An FOV calculator such as 12string's will let you determine which would better souls your preferred targets.

20 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Don't get too hung up on 2" eyepieces right now.  If you want one, I'd recommend a 30mm to 40mm wide field one to help you find objects.  For under $120, they won't be perfectly corrected like a Panoptic or Nagler, but these would serve you well to get you started.

In your situation, I'd focus in on the Starguider series.  Affordable, good performance, 60 degree apparent field of view, good eye relief.  At $60 each, you can afford to get a range of focal lengths from 5mm for planets and globular clusters to an 8mm, 12mm, and 18mm for viewing mid-sized objects such as nebulae and open clusters.

Yeah I started looking at the prices of the 2" eyepieces and changed my mind pretty quickly. I took a look at that Starguider series - and am wondering - at $60 each for those, 5 of them would be $300. Would it be as good, visually, to get the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm (which would have 5 in one clickable) for $289? I like the idea of the clickable zoom eyepieces but am unsure if performance wise it stacks up. Reviews seem good but obviously it must vary by scope. The clickable Tele Vue 3 to 6mm Nagler also looks nice for planetary viewing, but at $400, that would be a bit down the road. Is it better to just get single eyepieces? 

15 minutes ago, JTmunmun said:

Yeah I started looking at the prices of the 2" eyepieces and changed my mind pretty quickly. I took a look at that Starguider series - and am wondering - at $60 each for those, 5 of them would be $300. Would it be as good, visually, to get the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm (which would have 5 in one clickable) for $289? I like the idea of the clickable zoom eyepieces but am unsure if performance wise it stacks up. Reviews seem good but obviously it must vary by scope. The clickable Tele Vue 3 to 6mm Nagler also looks nice for planetary viewing, but at $400, that would be a bit down the road. Is it better to just get single eyepieces? 

Comparing the Baader to the Starguiders, they're probably on about par quality wise.  The Baader will be wider at higher powers and narrower at lower powers.  You also don't have to swap eyepieces.  Since you're in the States, and you're interested in a zoom, I would recommend getting one of Sheldon Faworski's Omegon zoom blems for $65.  I have one paired with a Celestron Regal zoom (optically identical) for use on binoviewers.  They actually zoom more smoothly than the Baader and stack up quite well optically and with respect to apparent field of view (44 to 63 degrees) to the Baader.  You can then pocket the $224 you saved to buy more single focal length eyepieces in the 16mm to 26mm range that will have substantially wider apparent fields of view.

Summarizing, get an entry level 2" finder eyepiece, a 5mm Starguider, an Omegon zoom, and possibly the 18mm and/or 25mm Starguiders or some other equivalents.  That should all cost well under $400.

28 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Comparing the Baader to the Starguiders, they're probably on about par quality wise.  The Baader will be wider at higher powers and narrower at lower powers.  You also don't have to swap eyepieces.  Since you're in the States, and you're interested in a zoom, I would recommend getting one of Sheldon Faworski's Omegon zoom blems for $65.  I have one paired with a Celestron Regal zoom (optically identical) for use on binoviewers.  They actually zoom more smoothly than the Baader and stack up quite well optically and with respect to apparent field of view (44 to 63 degrees) to the Baader.  You can then pocket the $224 you saved to buy more single focal length eyepieces in the 16mm to 26mm range that will have substantially wider apparent fields of view.

Summarizing, get an entry level 2" finder eyepiece, a 5mm Starguider, an Omegon zoom, and possibly the 18mm and/or 25mm Starguiders or some other equivalents.  That should all cost well under $400.

Wow thanks, talk about maximizing my budget! What would be considered a good 2" entry level finder eyepiece for this scope? 

1 hour ago, JTmunmun said:

Wow thanks, talk about maximizing my budget! What would be considered a good 2" entry level finder eyepiece for this scope? 

The best is the 40mm Skywatcher Aero ED and TS PARAGON ED 40 which are clones of the discontinued 40mm TMB Paragon.  Those clones used to be sold in the US as the Astro Tech Titan Type II as well by Astronomics.  It appears that shipped from FLO to the US would be about $137 plus exchange fees.

After that, it's a bit of a toss up which of the various 38mm to 40mm eyepieces in the $80 to $110 range is the best.  I don't know of any definitive tests of them.  That's why I'm always vague about recommending them.  They're all "okay", but not great.  Read this comparison review for some help.  I actually have the 30mm 80 degree one reviewed.  It's pretty bad outside the inner 50% without a field flattening coma corrector.  It becomes passable with one.

9 hours ago, JTmunmun said:

You're very welcome, and thank you.

Wide-field oculars, other than offering expansive views of larger objects, first became popular with the advent of the manual "Dobsonians"; larger Newtonians on Dobson alt-azimuths.  I'm sure you've seen them.  For the most part, with the Dobsonians, the wider views simply allow observing an object for that much longer before it races out of sight, and then to bump and nudge the telescope to view it again, over and over until one moves on to another object and repeats the process.

With a motorised mount however, one no longer becomes dependent on wide-field oculars for that purpose, as the object now remains still there in the center of the eyepiece.   At that point, it then becomes a matter of just how much sky background you would like to see surrounding an object; to frame it.  Some like a lot of "air" surrounding an object; whilst others prefer to focus on just the object, and without being distracted by other objects in the field-of-view.

Per exit-pupils, at f/5, the lowest power for the 8" can be had with this relatively-economical 2" 38mm 70°...

http://agenaastro.com/agena-38mm-super-wide-angle-swa-eyepiece.html

...and for a low power of 26x; almost binocular-like.  With that, you'd have a sporting chance of seeing the galaxy in Andromeda in the fall and winter, but you'd have to pan the telescope along the galaxy's length to view it in its entirety, as it's quite large.  The eyepiece would also allow you to relaxingly take in a wide view of the congested star-fields of the Milky Way on a lazy summer evening.

For practically everything else, the 1.25" format will do nicely.  This economical 20mm 68° would offer a power of 50x, and for a closer look, but not too close, if you spot something interesting with the 38mm and would like to zoom in a bit...

http://agenaastro.com/gso-20mm-superview-eyepiece.html

You can then 2x-barlow that 20mm, and for a simulated 10mm(100x), for a closer look still...

http://agenaastro.com/antares-1-25-2x-barlow-lens-twist-lock-adapter-t-thread-ub2stl.html

A 3x barlow would convert the 20mm into a 6.7mm(149x)...

http://www.telescope.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=8704&gclid=Cj0KEQiAuonGBRCaotXoycysvIMBEiQAcxV0nIAXccASK-NmxYURKPL_pkDyxz_GSsLtSzoSDLBFsBIaAvoS8P8HAQ

There is also this 3x within this listing, and an Antares like the 2x listed above...

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ebt2.htm

To find the power offered by any given eyepiece, or eyepiece-and-barlow combination result, simply divide the telescope's focal-length by the focal-length of the eyepiece being considered...

1000mm ÷ ?mm = ???x

You also have the option of skipping barlows and getting dedicated eyepieces of short and very-short focal lengths.  For examples...

http://agenaastro.com/eyepieces/1-25-eyepieces/shopby/5mm_and_under-5_1mm_10mm/bst_uwa_planetary-agena_dual_ed.html

Take this 3.2mm for example... http://agenaastro.com/agena-1-25-dual-ed-eyepiece-3-2mm.html

1000mm ÷ 3.2mm = 313x!

An 8" aperture is certainly capable of 313x, but only if the collimation is spot on and the atmosphere is cooperative.  Florida is well known for very good seeing conditions, so I've read.

Jupiter and Saturn will feature prominently as this year wears on, and to see them well the Newtonian must be collimated properly, as the magnification will need ramping upwards, to, say, 150x and greater, and for a lovely view; that is, both planets will blow you away with an 8" aperture.

Then there are globular clusters, tighter and open star-clusters, and nebulae that can benefit from the use of oculars of moderate focal-lengths, for example...

http://agenaastro.com/agena-1-25-dual-ed-eyepiece-15mm.html (67x)

http://agenaastro.com/agena-1-25-dual-ed-eyepiece-12mm.html (83x)

Those particular eyepieces offer 20mm of eye-relief, and are very good for those who must wear prescription eyeglasses when observing.  Do you wear eyeglasses, and would you need to wear them whilst observing?  Eye-relief is simply the distance one needs to hold their eye away from the eyepiece, and in order to see the full field-of-view, and comfortably...

58c349b6232d3_eyerelief.jpg.15891a2cf3f497207453aeeeb1bd4890.jpg

If you know that you do not have to wear eyeglasses when observing, like myself, then you can make good use of most any eyepiece on the market.  The eye-relief is usually listed within its specs within its listing.  If not, you can research any given eyepiece online for the information.  

Plossls are the current minimum provided with better telescope kits, and are also sold individually...

http://agenaastro.com/eyepieces/1-25-eyepieces/shopby/gso_plossl/gso.html

But Plossls below 10mm have tight eye-relief, and where you would need to hold your eye where it almost touches the eye-lens of the eyepiece, and to see the full view.

Such is true with this 6mm Plossl of mine...

58c34e374f229_VixenNPL6mm4.jpg.8eaf50c93c56f905318178ae67f14d47.jpg

...and the views through same are nothing short of mesmerising.  I have the 1.25" 30mm as well...

58c34f965b003_VixenNPL30mm2.jpg.9856d920b396a442b5a0aea1776b81c3.jpg

...and with an enormous eye-lens through which to view.  That one would provide a power of 33x with an 8" f/5.

The Vixen NPL Plossls, as that 6mm, may be a worthwhile step up in quality over the GSO Plossls, but I have no GSO Plossls to compare to my Vixens...

http://agenaastro.com/eyepieces/1-25-eyepieces/shopby/vixen_npl/vixen_optics.html

In so far as negotiating eye-relief, that's where barlows can help, too.  You can 2x-barlow a 12mm Plossl, for an effective 6mm, yet retain the greater eye-relief of the 12mm.

This is my 4mm orthoscopic.  It has a tiny eye-lens through which to look, and tight eye-relief; ouch...

58c34bd59ce92_4mmOrthoscopic7a.jpg.3073a044311856ca1b73a154ccc59f36.jpg

I can observe with it, but for improved comfort I often choose to 2.8x-barlow this 12mm instead, and for an effective 4.3mm, and for 174x with my 6" f/5...

58c34c4106fd6_12mm-Klee2_8x.jpg.1f7bb05195fc4485bd8c64e8fbca03b4.jpg

I've seen glory with that combination.  Incidentally, many objects are at their most beautiful, most engaging, at the higher and highest powers.

Then there's this current 4mm(250x, with an 8" f/5)...

http://agenaastro.com/bst-1-25-uwa-planetary-eyepiece-4mm.html

Note how similar that one appears to my combination above.  That's because it contains built-in barlowing elements, and all in one piece.  If an eyepiece of short focal-length has a large eye-lens and a longish body, it will most likely contain a barlow, built in.

For the lower powers, there's generally a wider spacing between the focal-lengths within a set of eyepieces, and for the higher powers a closer spacing...

58c35262642d6_opticalensemble3.jpg.81340930e835d272ec56b5f40a0c3fc0.jpg

...and, in my case, with a few barlows to complement.  However, I usually do not barlow an eyepiece longer than a 12mm myself.  I also have a 16mm that I like to use on occasion.

Then there's always the minimalist approach, and with one or two eyepieces and a barlow, or three eyepieces without a barlow.  Such is dependent upon the observer's preference.

If you'd like more experience and time in determining what you would like in a carefully thought-out set, you can choose the 2x barlow suggested, for now, along with this...

http://agenaastro.com/celestron-8-24mm-zoom-eyepiece.html

It would serve as a teaching tool, and in determining at which powers at you would like to observe best, then to select dedicated eyepieces at those focal-lengths and powers, and of better quality as funds and time permits.  The zoom ocular would not provide particularly wide views, but I have read that at the highest selection, 8mm, that that would offer a somewhat generous 60° actual field-of-view.

As you can see, you have a myriad of options to explore.

1 hour ago, Alan64 said:

Wow, incredibly detailed and helpful response. That actually helps explain a LOT to me regarding eyepieces, and gives me a lot to think about. Thank you so much, again. 

What's in the eyepiece box for my 8 inch f5 Newtonian? Let's see.

25mm stock Sky-watcher eyepiece. 22mm ("x10") 30mm barrel wide-field microscope eyepiece.  One or the other is used every time I take the telescope out.  The 22mm is a better quality eyepiece.  25mm (=x40) gives a 5mm exit pupil, which represents as low a power as I can use with my old eyes without wasting some light.

10mm Baader Classic Ortho.  An excellent eyepiece, works well at f5. Regularly used. Gives x100

x2 and x3 Barlow lenses (cheap). Used on double stars etc.

TMB Optical SW 2.5mm eyepiece. Used once. This appears to have a Barlow lens and spiral fine focus built into it. Gives x400

You can of course buy more - or even a zoom.  I thought of buying a zoom until I read the reviews and spec sheets. It's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Archived