Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars and Uranus Conjunction

kerrylewis

Just seen this - the small red dot of Mars and the small greenish blue dot of Uranus in the FOV of the 20mm in the 100ED. Fun to think of their relative positions in the solar system with Mars our near neighbour (although not so near at the moment) and Uranus way out there towards the edge. I think they were at their closest yesterday but no chance then to observe. Still about three quarters of a degree today. 

This is the sort of opportunity where the Ioptron mount really comes into its own. I set up and dismantled in minutes between cloud banks and showers where I might not have attempted it previously. Really pleased to catch this and also the lovely slimming crescent of Venus nearby.  

38 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Great report, Kerry. Glad you were able to see the conjunction. It's nice when these appulses happen and even better when we can view (and/or image) them!

Regards,

Reggie

Thanks for your earlier heads up Reggie. I love to see these alignments if I can and the weather gave us a short break 

Wow, I didn't know this was happening until I saw @orion25 (Reggie's) image. Half an hour ago I set up my tripod then came back in in disgust as I saw clouds coming from the west, then saw his thread and this one. Ran out, saw M45, M42  but Venus went behind cloud before I could point the bins (Clestron 8x42) at it. Found Mars, memorised positions of a couple of dots, cam in and they weren't Uranus! Rushed back out, much more cloud and Mars gone - stared at cloud through bins and Mars appears, then almost below it and roughly a 'Plieades away' Uranus!

Whoopee, my first view of Uranus other than through a finderscope or camera live view!

Should have been an interesting view tonight with the crescent moon coming into the 'frame', but due to scudding clouds I haven't as yet managed to see the Moon (with great Earthshine), Venus, Mars/Uranus in a single view - seems to be any two from three right now :(

Archived