Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing on Mount Teide Tenerife

Andyb90

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to Tenerife in September and thought about driving up Mount Teide for some observing. I've had a look on Google maps and there are some car parks which look ideal like this one:

https://goo.gl/maps/3TCmBqP4uBH2

Any tips or advice about observing here would be very welcome.

Also does anyone know if there is anywhere a telescope could be hired on the island?

Andy.

Hi Andy, I was in Tenerife earlier this month. There are now stargazing trips up to mount Teide. This is a relatively new venture. They were certainly not available last year. I went on one and it was most enjoyable. A local expert from the newly formed Astro club acts as a guide. I would only remind you that warm clothing is a must. It gets very cold, especially when you are used to the 25+ daytime temperatures lol.

Even in the resorts it is relatively easy to find dark sky locations. Get down on the beach and with all the LP  behind you it is possible to get and you can get some lovely views.

Where will you be based in Tenerife?

4 hours ago, laudropb said:

Where will you be based in Tenerife?

We'll be in Playa de las Americas. I was thinking of hiring a car and driving up to one of the carparks.

Would have been nice to hire a Dob, but I haven't found anywhere offering hire of scopes yet. I might look out for a used travel scope and alt az mount.

Andy.

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

I was next door in Adeje. I have never come across telescope hire on my visits. I don't like driving. Drove up Mount Teide once but it was a bit of a hairy drive and swore I would never do it again lol. I am sure you will enjoy it.

I've emailed darkskiestenerife to see if they do scope hire. I'll also be keeping an eye out on here for a used travel scope and mount. I should be okay with the driving as I do quite a few day trips to North Wales in summer and often drive through Snowdonia where the roads can be narrow and bendy.

ANDY.

18 hours ago, Andyb90 said:

I've had a look on Google maps and there are some car parks which look ideal like this one:

I observed from that spot many times (though around 10 years ago).

Was fine, though as others have mentioned, can get very cold!!

Make sure you are well awake on the drive down!

Good luck

Paul

Hi Andy

I went last year and am going again 16th September for a week.  There were a couple of spots we used I'll see if I can get a grid reference. I think you can hire a scope, I'll ask some of the others who went.

If you go to www.basingstokeas.org.uk, scroll down a click on our flick link you can see some of our images.

Are you going for astronomy or just a holiday with a night or two observing?

Ian

On 26/02/2017 at 00:01, Andyb90 said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to Tenerife in September and thought about driving up Mount Teide for some observing. I've had a look on Google maps and there are some car parks which look ideal like this one:

https://goo.gl/maps/3TCmBqP4uBH2

Any tips or advice about observing here would be very welcome.

Also does anyone know if there is anywhere a telescope could be hired on the island?

Andy.

Hello Andy.

I've just had an email via tenerifeastronomysociety@tenerifeastro to say that a visitor has hired a 11" Celestron SCT and CGX mount from "Miguel at Alpha Cygni" so it would appear that this sort of thing is possible. Might be worth contacting TAS for further information.  :icon_biggrin:

6 hours ago, misterp said:

Hi Andy

I went last year and am going again 16th September for a week.  There were a couple of spots we used I'll see if I can get a grid reference. I think you can hire a scope, I'll ask some of the others who went.

If you go to www.basingstokeas.org.uk, scroll down a click on our flick link you can see some of our images.

Are you going for astronomy or just a holiday with a night or two observing?

Ian

A grid ref would be great. We've booked a holiday and then I read about Mount Teide and the great skies so thought of doing a night or two.

Andy.

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Hello Andy.

I've just had an email via tenerifeastronomysociety@tenerifeastro to say that a visitor has hired a 11" Celestron SCT and CGX mount from "Miguel at Alpha Cygni" so it would appear that this sort of thing is possible. Might be worth contacting TAS for further information.  :icon_biggrin:

I hadn't realised there was an Astronomy shop on the island. I can only imagine what the views would be like with a 11" scope. I've found the website and will drop them an email. Thanks :icon_biggrin:

Andy.

Archived