Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart and Soul Nebulae - Widefield - WIP

Gina

Had a hard drive failure on my Linux Mint desktop and that contained a lot of my astro data but I have backups and intermediate process files on SSD so I'm seeing what I can do.  Firstly, here is the Heart & Soul in Ha.  Looks like I have OIII and SII as well so hoping to make a colour version.  Equipment in signature but I'll have to check which lens I used - I think it was the 135mm f2.5.  This is integrated image stretched with Curves Transformation.  All image processing in PixInsight.

Ha2.png

I'll have to look back through my posts for the gain setting but I think it was either 440 or 500.  My records of astro capture settings were in a text file on the broken HD :( All were captured with a camera temperature of -30°C.  These are the number of subs and exposures for each filter.  All Astrodon 3nm 1.25".

1. Ha  - 418 x  60s
  2. OIII - 297 x  60s
  3. SII   -  96 x 120s

Thanks :)  Probably tomorrow.  Going back through my posts I find I did try a while ago but didn't do very well so a fresh try is indicated anyway.  I also found the capture settings.  Lens was the 135mm f2.5 and gain of 440.  Temp of -30°C as I said above.

I found the information on my captures, the gain was 440.  Been working towards colour images both bi-colour and tri-colour though with so little SII the tri-colour was a problem.  Anyway here are my tries.  Bi-colour using R=Ha, G=20%Ha+80%OIII and B=OIII and tri-colour R=Ha, G=SII and B=OIII - the only combination that gave any sensible colour.  If I can capture more SII data I'll have another go at tri-colour.

Here are the bi-colour and tri-colour images stretched with curves in PI - in fact all processing was done in PI.  These are full resolution images but saved in PNG format for upload here.  When I finally get gigabit fibre optic broadband connected right into the house I'll resurrect my web site and make the XISF files available.

Bi-Colour H 20%H+80%O O-5.pngTri-Colour3.png

Archived