SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beating the weather (Cloud\Rain Sensor)

Hello,

So I would like to leave my imaging rig running over night, but I would also like to get some sleep :-)  - so I was thinking what my options are .... (I am on a pier but not in an Obsy).

The way I see it is this. I did build a DIY rain sensor, and it does work, but there need to be enough initial rain to create the circuit and sound the alarm. This sounds too late to me, as a fair bit of rain had fallen before the alarm when off. So now I am thinking of cloud clover (no rain without a cloud right ?) - so would the USB version of this do http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/cloud-sensors-accessories/cloud-sensors/ . Perhaps, but the USB version I think is mainly used for 'assessing' conditions, whereas the Deluxe version will give a screen\email warning).

There is one further option from the control software I use (Sequence Generator Pro) - and that is to send an alert if the guide star is lost. But I am wondering if again that would be sufficient warning of rain ?

So how do the automated Observatories work ? - I am sure they must close up before the rain starts. Email is great, but SMS I think would be better as an alert, but I would need to look in to that, as I don't think gmail for example will let you send SMS messages (as there is a cost involved).

Thanks

Alistair.

Edited by AlistairW

I use an AAG CloudWatcher for this purpose. The cloud setting has three 'levels' - Clear, Cloudy and Overcast. I arrange for the shutter on my fully automated observatory to close on Overcast as this is a precursor to potential rain! I also get emails from the system if my guide star fades which is a real early warning.

• Like 1

From the way I operate remotely it would be great if somehow I could get notification by SMS of a clear night; if not available yet it will come but the HiTech may be another step along the way and worth considering.

The problem with this site is the more you read up on things the more money you spend!!!, replace existing cloud sensor, flip-flat (yes I did see your build thread Steve), sky quality meter etc etc.

Regards

Mike

Thanks for replies. Bit more reading and I figure email is not such a good alert anyway, especially if using an iPhone for example. The iPhone only pulls emails every few minutes, and this cannot be changed (unless jail broken). Reason I say email is no good, is that I don't want a rain notification to come through 5 minutes later. So SMS is the way to go, but then you need to sign up for a web-sms service. I have found one such company offering 2.9p per text. I will test this out first to see how instant the texts come through. (Really does make you realise why have an Obsy is a good idea).

Thanks

Alistair

Since I'm ultra cautious about mixing rain with electronics I use a total of three rain sensors in my obsey.:happy11:

The main one is  from Hitech astro which I've set to close the roof if it detects rain or if it detects clouds, this is configurable for local conditions,  it can also be configured to send email alerts.  This has never failed but it is reliant on the obsey PC functioning.  To guard against failure, I installed two backup sensors inside the obsey which are not reliant on my PC  (so in theory these should never trigger).   I initially installed a rain alarm weather monitor station which connects via a low frequency RF link to my house.  The main advantage is that it is battery powered and is very simple to install. The main problem is that it needs quite a bit of rain for the alarm to trigger. I therefore decided to install a second device (a Kemo rain sensor) which is more sensitive, it also incorporates a heater which is required to prevent false triggering from dew. Since it incorporates a heater, I decided to power this from my main 12v power supply. To guard against mains power supply failures, I also installed a detector inside the house. 

For your particular application, you might find that the Kemo sensor is suitable, it's also relatively low cost http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/kemo-rain-sensor-dc-12v-n21dd?cmpid=ppc&gclid=CMHhlI3rg9ICFeq87QodbvsCdA  and on rain detection it closes a self contained relay which you can use to trigger an appropriate alarm. 

Alan

• 5 months later...

The Boltwood cloud sensor will work with Maxim DL but is pricey, The aurora cloudsensor is more reasonable but do not know how reliable it is for automated dome shutter closure. The Hightec cuirrently does not appear to be available again how reliable?

3 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

The Hightec cuirrently does not appear to be available again how reliable?

I've found the Hitec astro sensor very reliable and use it with my ROR obsey in an automated set up. I would recommend it.

Alan

Hi Alan

Unlike you I have a Pulsar Dome with Rigel Controled rotator and shuter control. MaximDl has an interface with the Boltwood Cloud Detector. I am really mainly interested in the shuter closure should rain be detected on the Hightec Delux do you use Maxim or the Hightec software to achieve this?

Many thanks

Pickwick

43 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

Hi Alan

Unlike you I have a Pulsar Dome with Rigel Controled rotator and shuter control. MaximDl has an interface with the Boltwood Cloud Detector. I am really mainly interested in the shuter closure should rain be detected on the Hightec Delux do you use Maxim or the Hightec software to achieve this?

Many thanks

Pickwick

Hi Pickwick

I use the Hiitec software in conjunction with ACP to close and open the roof. The Hitec software monitors:

1. Sky conditions - eg how cloudy.

2. Rain - eg water content of the atmosphere.

3. Sensor inputs  - optionally you can you install sensors that inform the Hitec software if the telescope is in a "safe" position for opening or closing the roof.  This to prevent the roof opening or closing if the telescope is not in a "safe" position.

So, if my observatory is imaging and it detects that either the Sky conditions have become too cloudy or rain is detected then ACP will attempt to firstly park the telescope to a pre-determined park position. When the telescope is parked, ACP will attempt to close the roof, however, this will only be allowed if the telescope sensor inputs (which monitor the RA and DEC positions) allow it. Conversely, if the weather becomes satisfactory again (eg sky clear and no rain), then the ACP will instruct the observatory to open the roof, the telescope will slew to the predetermined target and carry on the imaging session. To prevent hysteresis, the rate of opening and closing is limited by ACP to a pre-configured rate.

The Hitec software is ASCOM compliment and ACP compatible which allows the observatory to open and close the roof according to the weather conditions.

In my setup, ACP have overall command of all the elements of my observatory and instructs the the other software elements eg Hitech software, Maxim DL, FocusMax etc what to do and when.

If it may be worthwhile you contacting Steve Richards aka @steppenwolf who has also automated his observatory. I understand that he has a Pulsar Dome and MaximDL but doesn't use ACP or the Hitec software.

Alan

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 27/07/2017 at 21:01, alan4908 said:

etermined park position. When the telescope is parked, ACP will attempt to close the roof, however, this will only be allowed if the telescope sensor inputs (which monitor the RA and DEC positions) allow it. Conversely, if the weather becomes satisfactory

Hi Alan,

Thank you for a comprehensive reply, I have been using the free trial version but have got stuck on ACP weather interface for HitechAstro relying on a script to interface with ACP. How do I set out to do this any example would help.

Cheers

Pickwck

3 minutes ago, Pickwick said:

Hi Alan,

Thank you for a comprehensive reply, I have been using the free trial version but have got stuck on ACP weather interface for HitechAstro relying on a script to interface with ACP. How do I set out to do this any example would help.

Cheers

Pickwck

Hi Pickwick

Firstly, you need to ensure that you have configured the Weather server via the HitechAstro app. 

To communicate between ACP and the weather server, you need to set up the weather ID in the ACP preferences tab weather (ACP->preferences->weather). The weather ID for the HitechAstro server is HitecWeather.Weather

To connect the sensor to ACP and assuming you are not using Scheduler (which will initate the connect automatically) you then go Weather->connect.

Alan

• 1 year later...

Do any of these units lend themselves to temporary usage, I want to monitor for cloud/rain when everything is outside but be able to pack it up when finished (usually the following morning but potentially a few days later if the weather is more settled)?

Dont want to buy the USB version because my long term plan is an automated dome. Ideally I want to get a weather sensor I can use now and then transfer it to the dome once it is built...

• 4 years later...

Does someone have experience using (and reverse-engineering) Aurora Cloud Sensor (http://www.auroraeurotech.com/CloudSensor.php)? I have one with cutting cable. I want to try to read data from it using an RS232 adapter. There are 8 connected cables inside the Aurora, but I don't know their usage...

IMG_20230624_115011.jpg