NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M3 Glob Revisited

cloudsweeper

It's always worth revisiting targets for a better look, and, of course, to repeat the enjoyment!

6.00 a.m., clear for a change, one-star alignment on Arcturus, and away!  M3 spot on.  

First time I only saw a fuzzy patch, partly due to inexperience I suppose.  Next time, a core with many "specks" around it.  But this  time..............

Still a fuzzy patch at x85, better at x113 plus AV, but at x145/169, what a difference!  A little fainter of course, but now a rich, dense cluster with a lot more detail resolved.

Pushing it a bit, I tried x185, but it got dimmer and somewhat less crisp.

After 30 minutes, clouds rolled in, but I was very satisfied indeed!

Doug.

1 hour ago, jjosefsen said:

There is a couple of globulars in that region,  just put them on the "to watch" list. :)

1 hour ago, estwing said:

I've yet to bag M22 which is the Daddy...in the northern hem!

Yeah - having a list is very useful.  Mine is growing all the time!  M22 might be a challenge, being low and for a limited timescale, but I have bagged the Open Cluster M23 in Sagittarius.  So many treasures up there!

Doug.

• 1 month later...

I like to hunt globs more than galaxies. Galaxy season is associated with many globs also :)

So I call them mini galaxies. Globs sure need magnification to see the structure.

My favorite is Omega centauri. M3 makes me happy cause it's one of the globs I can see from my city, others r m15, 13,80 and omega  and 5

Archived