Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Slowmotion control

fiestazetecmk2

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/01/2017 at 19:31, fiestazetecmk2 said:

Hi.I've been busy making my slow motion control for my dob.just wondered if anyone has done the same.I'm very pleased with the result.will put picture up soon .

Very interested to see how you've done this.

I was just sitting here thinking about the very same and this thread popped up on google. Hoping to build an eq platform for my 8.5" f/7.6 dob and add slow-mo control to it to make up for poor bearings, mainly for lunar/planetary imaging.

Was thinking through the alt first, considering a wooden disc outboard on one alt bearing with a metal bar extending to the rear, a swivel holding captive a threaded rod with knob, the threaded rod hanging down through a swivelling spring-loaded split nut mounted on the side of the base.

slomoalt.jpg

3 minutes ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

I got my idea from watching a you tube video of the zlomotion that's made in the states and costs about 400 dolavs. I think so far mine has cost me £30.00.but I've nearly finished. So no more cost.I runs very smooth.

Looking forward to the pics. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks it's so smooth to turn.easy for tracking.and it will rotate easy without using wheel.also can be removed completely and put back to how it was originally. Parts I used.:aluminium plate 4mm thick which are fitted to original bolts .slots cut into it for tension of belt.the belt is a gates 6pk1708 mm serpentine belt.pulley at base is an alternator 6 groove. 4 penny washers fitted to the bottom baseboard to stop belt rolling  off.stainless steel bar.a black 100mm diameter wheel. black  guttering with an end cap on it.2 nylon blocks fitted to aluminium plate with holes in to allow rod to be adjusted for hieght of pulley so it's in line with Base board. .that's about it. £30:00 well spent.to really is a joy to use .handwheel is so responsive excellent for tracking .so much better than trying to nudge.I'm thinking of doing the more mods.so watch this space.20170203_154016.jpg20170203_154016.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This looks amazing, I'm surprised this thread isn't inundated with questions on how you did this. So I guess someone has to start, how did you make this?

I was looking on you tube about dobsonians and a video of zummel 12" was fitted with a commercially available set-up in America. Costing around 300 dolars.it is a simple idea.I made my setup in a similar way.but it cost me around  £55:00 in total.to make myself.if you study the setup on you tube and you can make the parts needed.I'm very suprised that skywatcher don't offer that setup for all the dobsonion telescopes.honestly it isn't difficult to make.I have put how I done it .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I will try to explain.

The  wooden center section has 2 separate holes.which the 2 metal rods go into.the lower rod is a plain rod.and is used for large adjustments with a locking knob.the upper rod is threaded.with a handwheel for fine  adjustments.this a basic explanation. Hope it help you understand. 

If you can still watch the YouTube video can you put the URL here?  I've tried searching for it with no luck.  Thanks for the description, I kind of thought something like that but when you are at the lowest setting, near the horizon, do the two rods meet or do they slide past each other?  Sorry if I'm pestering, I just really like how clean your install is.

They slide past each other. Hope this helps.I too cannot find the YouTube video now.it is a simple idea .and not to difficult to make.I did  put pics up about how I made the slow motion controls in diy astronamy section whilst.I was making it.

• 11 months later...

Archived