Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adding Ha to LRGB (Horsehead and Flame)

AngryDonkey

Hi All,

I am just processing my attempt at the 'FlameHorse' and have managed to create a reasonably well balanced version in LRGB. I've also shot some Ha data and not I'm trying to add this to the mix to bring out some of the fine detail (but it's not proving very easy at all!). I'm using PixInsight and have been playing with the NBRGBCombination tool to add the Ha to the red channel of the image. This works but I feel that the created image looks quite artificial and over processed (in some of the areas it looks like a random drizzle of red pixels). Do you have any advice on how best to prepare the Ha image before combination or alternative methods to blend it all in?

Thanks,

Mike

LRGB.png

Ha.png

NBRGBCombination.png

Mike, you have a beautiful LRGB image there.

In PI, I find mixing the Ha with the RGB using MultiChannelSynthesis RVB-AIP gives the most pleasing results (60% Ha, 40% RGB), often blending the two colour output images together to form a third blended version.  I do this prior to any LRGB combination.  Using Colour Saturation afterwards to your own taste.  It is only after this stage that I then use either Lum or a composite blend of Lum + Ha to produce the LHaRGB image - often combining in CieLab mode with Channel Combination.

I vary between enhancing the Ha (eg with HDR and LHE) prior to the RVB-AIP script and subsequent to when doing the luminance combination.  You can always extract the luminance after carrying out the LHaRGB combination and then re-combining after enhancements.  It all depends on the subject and my goals for the particular image.  You can even clone the combined LHaRGB image and enhance the clone before using PixelMath to blend with whatever proportion you wish.

There are a number of permutations as you can see - as Harry says "experiment" to see which process and workflow best suits your data and target.

HTH

Barry

Hi Mike,

It's a difficult problem.

I hope you don't mind?

I mucked around with it in Photoshop adding 50% Red & 50 Ha to make a new Red channel

& used that & different combinations of Ha as luminance in layers.

In the end I had to mask the bright blue stars as they looked ridiculous.

I also converted to LAB mode for some colour changes.

I tried to bring out the curtain with curves & mixed back the original.

This is what I got but there are 100 different combinations.

cheers

Allan

LRGB.png.ec1f7772ac5552a479df2e5efcde789b_3.jpg

Hi Allan,

I don't mind at all. That already looks much better with great detail, well done!

Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop but I will try to take a similar approach with splitting out and combining the red channels to see how that works out. 

Thanks,

Mike

You clearly have fantastic RGB and Ha data to work with. I am very envious! So I am sure that the final result will be a stunner. I am a PS person so I am afraid I could not help with any processing tips. I noticed that your stars are a bit big in the RGB image so you may want to reduce them before adding Ha as Lum (maybe re-process the RGB while protecting stars during stretching).

6 hours ago, AngryDonkey said:

Hi Allan,

I don't mind at all. That already looks much better with great detail, well done!

Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop but I will try to take a similar approach with splitting out and combining the red channels to see how that works out. 

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I can't see how you can do this without Photoshop.

I don't anyone who can do all their processing in PixInsight.

I mean - can you really get out a brush & paint over bright blue giant stars to do a layered blurred mask?

cheers

Allan

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm pretty new to astrophotography and am battling through PixInsight just now so will try to stick with it for the moment and see what I can achieve. Having said that I'm sure that Photoshop will be on the cards pretty soon which unfortunately I don't have any experience with either - another learning curve to climb... They weren't lying when they said this hobby is not for the faint hearted!!!!

On the subject of Photoshop which version are you using? Looking at the website it's subscription only now which even at the lowest level (Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC) is 9 pound a month. 

Thanks,

Mike

13 hours ago, AngryDonkey said:

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm pretty new to astrophotography and am battling through PixInsight just now so will try to stick with it for the moment and see what I can achieve. Having said that I'm sure that Photoshop will be on the cards pretty soon which unfortunately I don't have any experience with either - another learning curve to climb... They weren't lying when they said this hobby is not for the faint hearted!!!!

On the subject of Photoshop which version are you using? Looking at the website it's subscription only now which even at the lowest level (Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC) is 9 pound a month. 

Thanks,

Mike

For Photoshop training made easy -

I suggest you look at all of Louie Atalas's  videos on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ5b6pFHBGe66vsuSaXb-0A

or his website here:

http://www.atalas.net/

cheers

Allan

On 01/02/2017 at 19:45, alpal said:

Thanks Mike,

I can't see how you can do this without Photoshop.

I don't anyone who can do all their processing in PixInsight.

I mean - can you really get out a brush & paint over bright blue giant stars to do a layered blurred mask?

cheers

Allan

I think you are doubting whether anyone can carry out all their processing using only PixInsight?  Do I understand correctly?

I can assure you that it is possible :icon_biggrin:.

16 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

I think you are doubting whether anyone can carry out all their processing using only PixInsight?  Do I understand correctly?

I can assure you that it is possible :icon_biggrin:.

Wow - so PI can do layers & has a brush tool as well?

I didn't know that.

53 minutes ago, alpal said:

Wow - so PI can do layers & has a brush tool as well?

I didn't know that.

Why would PI need layers and a brush tool? It achieves the same outcome using other techniques. I think it's important to remember it is the outcome that matters, not the tools being used. 

For example, you can easily blend different (or cloned) images with powerful masks. Just not in the same way you would do it in PS or StarTools or AstroArt, etc.

Archived