Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod Extension Column

astro_al

Evening all,

I am looking to raise the height of my alt-az mount to accommodate a refractor. It uses a 3/8 tripod fitting. I can find exactly what I am looking for from a US vendor http://www.desertskyastro.com/Mounts.html but nothing in the UK. Anyone know of something similar over here? I could buy an adjustable center column for my tripod but these are a bit skinny for my liking.

Thanks

Al

2 hours ago, astro_al said:

These and a tin of beans might do it :icon_biggrin:

574863?w=637&h=403

I did very nearly the same thing! I had exactly the same requirement and bought a piece of 75mm Aluminium tube, 5mm thickness I think, and cut it to size, 30cm long. I also bought disks for the top and bottom which I fixed in place with chemical metal and then used a piece of threaded bar to attach to the tripod thread, through the cylinder to the mount on top. I joined the threaded bar to the tripod with a long nut....

If I can find a picture I will post it up.

The Skytee II that I purchased used recently came with a rather nice and very solid 140mm pillar extension. This is going to come in very handy because I find the usual 16" HEQ5 pillar extension too long and heavy for my needs but just being able to raise the mount head around 6 inches off the tripod hub is what I want.

I think there is a market for more variety of pillar extension lengths myself.

13 minutes ago, John said:

The Skytee II that I purchased used recently came with a rather nice and very solid 140mm pillar extension. This is going to come in very handy because I find the usual 16" HEQ5 pillar extension too long and heavy for my needs but just being able to raise the mount head around 6 inches off the tripod hub is what I want.

There is the shorter extension pillar for the AZEQ5 now John, its a little lighter as it has a cutout. Might still need a bit of fiddling with adaptors depending on mount and tripod but at least it's the right diameter with holes in the right place.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-az-eq5-gt-mount-pillar-extension.html

3 hours ago, Stu said:

There is the shorter extension pillar for the AZEQ5 now John, its a little lighter as it has a cutout. Might still need a bit of fiddling with adaptors depending on mount and tripod but at least it's the right diameter with holes in the right place.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-az-eq5-gt-mount-pillar-extension.html

Is the AZ-EQ5 the same fitting as the HEQ5 / Skytee II Stu ?

I thought they might be different.

4 minutes ago, John said:

Is the AZ-EQ5 the same fitting as the HEQ5 / Skytee II Stu ?

I thought they might be different.

That I can't remember John. I should be able to check though, I'll report back at some point soon :) 

22 hours ago, John said:

Agree about variable lengths of extension, my 16" is just right some days and too much on others, I am cosidering cutting it down a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close out this topic, I found a UK supplier (Astrograph) of extension columns that use a 3/8" fitting - the Tecnosky Half Pier. Dimensions are H:180mm Dia:60mm. More expensive than a tin of beans and the extender bolts :) but it is a really well made, solid piece of kit http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGTECHP

IMG_0295.JPG

Archived