SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser scopes

Does anyone use Bresser scopes? I have the opportunity of buying a Bresser Messier NT 150s for £80. It's OTA so I will be looking for mounts etc later. I'm wanting to know if it will be a good buy or best to leave alone? 

• Like 1

New from Bresser, this would cost you 241 euros. It's a nice telescope, parabolic mirrors etc - so if it's in good condition, for 80 pounds you won't go wrong. I believe the more recent model has an improved focusing system, but there's nothing wrong with the older simpler system either.

Some of the early Bresser scopes were made by Vixen in Japan. Definitely far from sub par !

The more recent ones are OK as well though. For £80 it sounds a good deal. As long as it has a parabolic primary mirror. A 2" focuser would be good as well.

The Bresser scopes (refractors) I've seen and used recently have been very like the ones that have Meade branding on them.

Edited by John

Those made by Vixen must be good, because I've never found a poor review or lab test of their scopes, ever. And all the Vixen stuff I've personally observed with has been superlative, especially in polishing finesse, and centering. But this older Bresser refractor was made in China, and not well made:

http://www.davidesigillo.eu/test_bresser.html

Aside from the wrap, it nonetheless looks to be new, and is indeed a 150mm f/5 Newtonian; perfect.  The image within the link is of the longer f/8 variant, which are usually mounted on a Dobson alt-azimuth or on a large equatorial(EQ-6).

• Like 1

For £80 (+ delivery ?) it's probably a good buy. Looks like you will need to add a dovetail bar (can't see one in the pic) but the carry handle is a nice feature. On an AZ-4 mount it would make a nice, portable scope that was pretty much "grab and go". The only other thing to think about is the finder. The Bressers use a Meade-type finder mount which is not compatible with Skywatcher type finders. You could just forget about an optical finder and stick a Rigel Quikfinder or a Telrad on the scope. That would be enough "finder" for most applications with that scope I'd have thought.

• Like 1

I have the 102 Achro short version, very nice scope and does exactly what I wanted it for.

Reasonable build quality, came in a box with enough packing to allow you to run it over with a car and it would still survive. Various people have them and do not recall anyone says they wish they had not bought them. But that doesn't mean they are the greatest but just good solid scopes.

Think mine came with 2 plossl eyepieces, just not sure if I have lost one, or mixed it with the Tal bits. Definite Meade relationship, Meade always gave eyepieces like 26mm and 9mm, well Bresser do the same. Just slightly odd focal lengths.

You might find that the scope is "set up" for imaging. To use eyepieces you could have to use an extension tube, another one of the supplied bits that it comes with. Will say it comes with a bag of assorted bits, still haven't used half of mine. Not too sure what they are all for.

Focuser will be single speed, finder is just about usable, but then most seem to fall into this catagory these days. Think the finder has a somewhat dedicated foot, so to change meas some sort of convertion base. May be wrong but I think that Bresser/ES sell these, have a half idea that I read of it about 4 months ago.

Nice scope and well made, there are better but I suspect that means adding another "0" to the £80 and spending £800. As said cannot recall anyone saying they are junk, and no recall of anyone sending one back, they like them for what they are and at the cost they are.

One additional bit: They have a clearance page and on it they have assorted items, a week ago they had a 90mm refractor (like the Evostar series) at €100. I very, very nearly bought it. The reason I did not after trying to talk myself into or out of it was that I already have a 70mm, 80mm, 90mm and 2 at 100mm. With those already buying "another" at 90mm is difficult to justify, even if I just haver to justify it to myself.

Edited by ronin
  • Like 1

The ad says there is a dove tail included, they are asking for £8 delivery. There's a 50mm straight through finder for £20. I am very tempted. I've just messaged the seller asking if there are any other bits they may have lying around.

Edited by Iain L
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Iain L said:

It looks like it has never been used. I may go for it, I can't find much on the internet in the way of reviews, but they do look nice!

A fellow amateur, who lives in Denmark, saw a few of the Bresser refractors first-hand, and was of the opinion that they, the refractors, were a notch up in overall build-quality compared to those of Synta(Sky-Watcher, etc); for what it's worth.

The primary mirror will be a parabola, of course.

Edited by Alan64
  • Like 1

I've started to look at some eye pieces for the scope. I only want 2 for now as I intend to add others at a later date, maybe a new one every month / other month. I was thinking of an 8-10mm plossl and 20-25mm plossl, then maybe next month when I get paid add a 15mm. Does this sound reasonable? I have seen a couple of GSO pieces on astroboot and was thinking of those as a decent starter.

I would start by looking for an eyepiece with a exit pupil in the 2-2.4mm. The advice that this is the "optimum" size seems to me to work quite well. This means an eyepiece in the 10-12mm range which results in magnification in the 75-62.5x range. If you then go for a 20-25mm you will be looking at 37.5-30x magnification so unless your choices are right at the ends of those ranges it might not be worth splitting the difference with another eyepiece in the future. 

The GSO plossls get good reviews and at astroboot prices you might only lose the cost of postage if you sell them in future. I would also recommend you consider the BST Starguiders as I think they are a step up but at £49 each you could probably get 2 or 3 plossls off astroboot instead. 

• Like 1