NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Use of Metric & Imperial units of measurement.

Alfian

4 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Although the metric and imperial systems make sense I am astounded with what ancient civilizations achieved using incomprehensible measurements and numbering.

Alan 

Eh, what do you mean? The "imperial system" is pretty much on par with ancient civilizations. E.g. the ancient Greeks had the foot (πους) and some city-states had different types of "foot" in use, but the most common was 30.2 cm (11.9") and was divided in 16 "digits" (δάκτυλα). So you have everything, essentially the same unit currently in use, some variation based on countries/city states (similar to the US/UK thing), base-16... The only difference I see is that the larger ancient unit, the stadion (στάδιον), is a more "round" number of feet (600 vs the 5280 ft that the mile has), so probably more convenient for calculations.

So if you are astounded the ancient civilizations could achieve things, you should be more astounded about the US and UK today ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The beauty of the metric system is that 1 mtr will always be 1 mtr where a with the imperial system we need to know which measurement we are using. is it a gallon or an american gallon. I believe we have the same problen with tons although don't quote me on it. it also negates the need for countless thread types which in itself is maddening.
As for the UK, well we don't know what we're doing. put litres of fuel in your car to drive miles. And it's hard for a 6'4" bloke weighing 120kg to fit in a smart car, made all the worse when it's -10 C with 2" of snow. :D Ya get the picture don't you?.....UP YA MINDS !!! :evil4:

Bushels and chains, not to mention rods, poles, or perches. Argh! I remember an afernoon in the park with mum (I must have been 8 or 9) measuring out and pacing the aformentioned chains and rods. Can no longer remember in detail but I think 22 yards came into it, the length of a cricket pitch, 1 chain?

1 minute ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I am NOT "American." I'm a Native of the First Nation. I never met Amerigo Vespuchi!

Meow!

My humble apologies sir, so you have also been led astray :)

If I can find my post I'll go back and correct it to read  :- ,,, for he is in America and ,,,

touches thumb to forelock and dons sackcloth.

2 hours ago, SilverAstro said:

Beware, for he is    American      in  America    in what we often call America  and leads you astray, there are just over 4&1/2 L in an Imperial Gallon, you were nearly a pint out :D

[Sorry @Dave In Vermont howzat ?]

Equitable, thank you.

Quanah Parker.jpg

A close relative's spirit can sleep. He's got my eyes...

Dave

13 hours ago, kev said:

Oh.

Ps. £sd and Gineas, farthings and halfpennies.   

£sd - originates as lire, solidi, denarii - ancient roman :)

Post decimalisation there was a half penny piece that was withdrawn less than 10yrs later.

Guinea

Then there was florins, thru'penny bits, 'tanner'/sixpence, crown, half-crown. The groat and crown had been withdrawn before I was born.

Brings batch the 'real world.

The 100" Hooker telescope - world's largest at the time - competed 100yrs ago this year. Had a focal length of 134' - only one I've seen expressed in feet (I've been looking) :)  

13 hours ago, ecuador said:

Eh, what do you mean? The "imperial system" is pretty much on par with ancient civilizations. E.g. the ancient Greeks had the foot (πους) and some city-states had different types of "foot" in use, but the most common was 30.2 cm (11.9") and was divided in 16 "digits" (δάκτυλα). So you have everything, essentially the same unit currently in use, some variation based on countries/city states (similar to the US/UK thing), base-16... The only difference I see is that the larger ancient unit, the stadion (στάδιον), is a more "round" number of feet (600 vs the 5280 ft that the mile has), so probably more convenient for calculations.

So if you are astounded the ancient civilizations could achieve things, you should be more astounded about the US and UK today ;)

I Cant remember which (Babylonian) , but there was also the base twelve - count the knuckles on the fingers

4 fingers, 3 knuckles = 12 per hand

37 minutes ago, bejay1957 said:

And a space-related reminder on the consequences of different systems

https://www.wired.com/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-report/

not the only one either

I also seem to remember that NASA didn't change to metric for the Shuttle program as the cost of converting the drawings ould be about 50% of a new shuttle ......

Archived