NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie Viewing Saturns Rings

Hey!

I'm pretty new to astronomy, but my main goal is to see the rings of Saturn with my own eyes.

I was wondering what I would need as a minimum setup to achieve this? I'm not looking for incredible clarity, just to be able to make out the shape of the rings from the planet itself.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Phil

be a bit tricky this time of year mate, with saturn in the twilight and all.

not 100% sure but the rings are closing to so next year might not be best views, however they will only improve after that.

one of the other guys can tell you more though mate, and happy hunting

It''s a fantastic sight to see Saturns Rings. I remember my first time, seems like ages ago now. I still get excited by them now.

As for what scope.....

Any really will show Saturn. Of corse the better the scope or larger the scope more detail will appear. But generally 60mm or above.

Thanks for all the help with this! Algol, I'm guessing that by 'closing' you mean the orientation of the planet to ours will only show me the side-on view of the rings? What sort of time frame will I be looking at before they become easier to view? Hopefully it'll be a benefit, as I'll have a chance to practice finding objects/tracking/focusing etc with my scope before moving to bigger (better!) optics!

well next year your right the orientation is closing aye. maybe year after too not sure.

but after that it'll only improve, anyway the planet and it's moons are great and the rings will still be visible.

This is how Saturns rings will look by november this year, but they will start to improve after 2009 and look like second photo by 20012.

I really hope they're at their best before 20012!! :hello2:

Phil - your first view of Saturns rings whether nearly edge on or not will be pretty special! :clouds1:

This was a view of Saturn as sketched through my Sky-Watcher 130PM. Conditions were dreadful on the night I was observing this with constant heat haze issues.

The scope was equipped with a 15mm EP and 2x Barlow to the best of my recall.

Might give you some idea.

It would have drifted out in under a minute but with polar alignment and a motor ( clock drive ) my little 130 tracked it pretty reliably for about half an hour with just the odd 'bump' to the motor to correct the rough polar alignment.

Hi Phil

The rings being edge on is not such a bad thing...

You will have a better chance of seeing more of its elusive moons an possibly

the occasional sattilite transit or eclipse too.

I am quite looking forward to that myself.

Ed

at minute phil it's kinda hard to see saturn as it's in the murky twilighty stuff.

how's your southern horizon? jupiter is up at minute and very bright. spend nearly all my night looking at it when i get out.

I'll get onto Stellarium tonight when I get in! I currently use GoogleEarth's 'Sky' function, which gets confusing!

I was able to locate what I thought was Jupiter last night, but I think I was getting some sorta atmospheric interference as it was shining as if thru a prism, and I couldn't see any moons (which seem to be pretty easy to spot if you get it right!) so I'll try again tonight, (clouds willing!) and with a better understanding of my gear, I'm hoping to also try and search out Andromeda!

When do you guys think Saturn'll be in dark enough sky for decent, inexperienced viewing?

Hi Phil

Your 60mm scope should show Saturn's rings once they open up a bit in 2009 - they close and open several times over the next 3 years before staying open.

From your posts elsewhere you have already seen Jupiter - well Saturn and its rings together is about the same size as Jupiter. Titan the largest moon will be visible too.

Mike

you'll have fun phil with your scope, jup is pretty hard to miss, birghtest thing in sky at min.

saturn returns around december ish but even then its only in early hours. in jan 2009, it gets pretty high ish around 10-11

Archived