Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoviewer thoughts (three months on)

Moonshane

In late September I took the opportunity to try a pair of binoviewers (BVs) and bought a pair of Baader Maxbrights from a fellow SGLer. So began my 'love affair' with dual eye observing, at least for the sun and moon for the time being.

It has to be said that there is a degree of faff surrounding the initial set-up and establishment of what is needed in terms of how to shorten optical length of the system and gain focus, which adapters are needed and which glasspath corrector (GPC).

One advantage of the Baader system is that it allows use of the t2 system which accesses many standard adapters and connecting systems. These remove the need in some cases of the use of a nosepiece and an eyepiece holder so shaving off valuable optical length.  Effective use of these adapters and a t2 prism has allowed me to gain focus with all three of my fracs and two of which are also used now with a 2" Baader Coolwedge.

I use the BVs for solar in both white light and Hydrogen alpha and on the moon. I have tried Venus and this was reasonably good; I look forward to Jupiter. I have tried a couple of DSOs but cannot really reach any conclusion yet. Double stars seem to invoke chromatic aberration and I have not been impressed so far although this could be misalignment of the merged view - something I'll check again over time.

Moon

Viewing the moon is really quite extraordinary. The contrast and level of detail seems enhanced in every way, especially up to 100x or so.  I have not really felt a need to go that much higher than this yet if honest but once I get a planned set of 15mm plossls, I will have the ability to BV up to 156x which I feel will be plenty. Last night I have never seen such a crisp and contrasty view of the moon at 85x in the 120ED.

White light solar

Whilst the level of detail recently has been poor, I can see, especially with the Baader cool wedge, that the detail will be really something once the pilot light comes back on. Again I find around 100x more than adequate for this to bring out the required detail but I'll certainly be able to push it more when the sun is a little higher. Both the 120ED and 102ED are really wonderful.

Hydrogen-alpha

Same story really with the 100mm PST mod. I tend to use around 60-80x with this scope and this has the little bonus of allowing full disk views even with the standard PST 5mm blocking filter. This was a complete surprise to my and I am delighted about it. In fact, I almost bought a BF10 at around £350-400 and I have bought the BVs, an additional GPC and a pair of new 25mm TV plossls for less than that. The views are undoubtedly a little dimmer in HA than they are with cyclops viewing but with the ambient light shielded, everything is easily seen.

I am still learning with these excellent tools but can confirm I am hooked at least for the objects stated. I'll be trying them on other objects but in all honestly, still prefer mono views for non solar/lunar observing.

At this point I'd like to thank those that have advised and helped me along the way so far and here's to going forward with both eyes open!

I have loved my binoviewers in my 250px on solar system targets - and use a pair of 15mm TV plossls too!

It was a leap of faith getting the BV, but I quickly felt that 2 eyes brought something new and remarkable to observing Jupiter, moon, Saturn, white light solar for example :)

I love my binos on all targets! It's just great to be able to sit and view. With one eye viewing I find that I end up pulling away from the eyepiece after 30 secs due to eye strain of holding one eye shut. With binos there is no strain with both eyes open.

i agree with your observations but would further say that I have not noticed any noticeable drop on detail from galaxies and nebula, in fact as you can observe for longer continual periods, maybe more detail is teased out?

i go back to single eye 2" for wide field, especially enjoyable now I have Ethos. The optical correctors force more magnification than I would choose given the option :(

I tend to decide in advance if I am having a binos or cyclops evening and setup for that and stick with it. Next time out I swap to the other method so as not to distract myself from enjoying the targets. If there are any observable differences i count myself lucky and put it down to conditions rather than the setup.

I just enjoy the view and am glad that the weather god has let me out for the night!

Nice one Shane! I'm pretty much with you on this one. I love them for white light solar where the views with the Baader Wedge are incredible. I do often use higher power and when the seeing is good, being able to view the granulation cells is amazing, one to try when the sun gets a little higher.

I'm hoping to have Ha capability back in my life very soon (watch this space) with a setup designed for high power binoviewing. I'm sure this will work very well too.

The moon is, I agree, incredible through them, but I am unconvinced on other targets. Jupiter for example gives me a much more colourful image (genuine colour, not CA!) but I find that the detail is smoothed out, much like applying too much noise reduction when processing an image (says he as if he knew what he was talking about!). With cyclops viewing I suffer from floaters far more but the planetary detail is still sharper.

With the Tak I have never struggled for in focus with them for solar but having read your thread I have just bought on of the T2 to SCT adaptors so I can connect directly to the Wedge. Thanks for the tip!

Trouble is, I might have to acquire another pair so I can have Ha and WL side by side now!!!

Where's the pictures I wanna know :D

Glad you finally sorted focusing Shane. Absolute bonus your not having to hack down your OTA's. I admit I'd like to give BV's another go but recent commitments have shortened the amount of time I get out as it is so faffing of any sorts is not an option at present.

Is there not a "show me you BV thread ?"

Very interesting read Shane :icon_biggrin:

I've owned binoviewers twice now over the past 18 months but I really did not get on with them either time around :undecided:

So it's cyclops observing for me unless I'm out with the binoculars.

Archived