Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

After Televue- Celestron Luminos, Meade 5000 - any other Contenders?

TangoCharlie

Greetings!  

Have my sights on the following scope Orion Atlas 8 EQ-G GoTo Reflector Telescope F4.9 Newtonian.  Not in the market for Televue lenses so looking at what are contenders to buy after these - such as Luminos or Meade 5000 Ultra Wide Angles.  Any others on this level of quality to consider.  I am approaching retirement in a few years so considering what to buy.  Thanks

!  

http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes/Reflector-Telescopes-with-GoTo-Mounts/Orion-Atlas-8-EQ-G-GoTo-Reflector-Telescope/pc/1/c/11/sc/343/p/24732.uts

TC

You could have a look at the Explore Scientific range, they're well made, good value for money, and should work well in your telescope.

SkyWatcher Myriads get good praise too, if you're after 100 degree plus fields of view, but I'm not sure what they're like in fast scopes like yours.

This is just what I've read mind, and not from experience. You should do a lot more reading before committing to a purchase.

Why wouldn't you consider Tele Vue though? They are pretty much regarded as the benchmark that most other eyepieces are compared to.

As above on the Explore Scientific:  

I spoke to one of the folk at Telescope house back along.  The member of staff said if he were buying now from scratch with all the latest options on the market available, his case would have plenty of Explore Scientific EP's in it.   I have looked through the 6.7mm.   They are very good indeed ! 

The post above reminded me that I did have two ES eyepieces a while back, 6.7 and 8.8mm 82 degrees. They were both very good in my long focal length scopes (as expected) but even though the eye relief is good, the eye lens is a magnet for eyelash grease. Other than that, they're great, and would have them again if the opportunity arose.

The William OpticS UWAN's are also worth considering if they have the focal lengths that you are interested in (there are only 4 in the range). The Skywatcher Nirvana range are the same eyepieces.

I'd be a little wary of the Luminos eypieces - I've read often about edge of field brightening being an issue with this range.

3 hours ago, John said:

The William OpticS UWAN's are also worth considering if they have the focal lengths that you are interested in (there are only 4 in the range). The Skywatcher Nirvana range are the same eyepieces.

I'd be a little wary of the Luminos eypieces - I've read often about edge of field brightening being an issue with this range.

The only difference (apparently - haven't compared them myself) between the WOs and Nirvanas is the price. And it's a HUGE price difference - go for the Skywatchers from FLO

13 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

The only difference (apparently - haven't compared them myself) between the WOs and Nirvanas is the price. And it's a HUGE price difference - go for the Skywatchers from FLO

Interesting one this one. As when you compare the William Optics uwan and the skywatcher Nirvana. Yes seemingly the price is the only difference between the eyepieces?

But I am sure I read something a few years ago , that indicated that the William optics uwan ones may have a better quality control on the eyepieces. If this is correct or not ,? But would certainly explain such a price difference if correct.

I've owned both UWAN's and Nirvana's and I could not tell any difference between them. That does not mean there isn't one, just that I could not see anything :smiley:

I've always liked them although the eye relief would cause issues if you wear glasses when observing. If there had been a few more in the range I think they would have been much more well established in peoples eyepiece cases before the ES 82's came along and ES might have stuggled in this niche.

23 minutes ago, John said:

I've owned both UWAN's and Nirvana's and I could not tell any difference between them. That does not mean there isn't one, just that I could not see anything :smiley:

I've always liked them although the eye relief would cause issues if you wear glasses when observing. If there had been a few more in the range I think they would have been much more well established in peoples eyepiece cases before the ES 82's came along and ES might have stuggled in this niche.

Interesting to hear that John . From a chap who knows a think or two about eyepiece☺. I have never compared the two so obviously have wondered about the claim of a quality control difference between them? May be then it's just expensive lettering of the William Optics that account for the price difference?, or they are just making more per unit over the same skywatcher offering.

Any how the William optics uwan /skywatcher Nirvana are good value for money considering the next step up is probably the Nagler . I have a 28mm uwan and has been very good even in my relatively fast dob at 4.6 so I cannot complain at all. In fact even if I had the cash I don't think I would trade it  for a similar tv nagler as the vast cost difference to optical difference , which I think would be negligible would not be worth the extra cash. Obviously if I had a very fast scope at f/4 then the optical difference may be more apparent, but this is where televues do have the edge in design and testing to f/4.

1 hour ago, jabeoo1 said:

This new Stellarvue Optimus (ethos inspired??)  EP range looks to be newly released.  Maybe worth a look. 

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-equipment/stellarvue-optimus-series-eyepieces/

They look rather smart - though as you say if the designers were attempting to disguise their inspirations, they failed

The Stellarvue Optimus look very much like the Lunt 100 degree eyepieces (which Lunt seem to have dropped now):

https://telescopes.net/store/lunt-engineering-9mm-xwa-100-degree-eyepiece.html

Personally I think these are very likely to be the same optically as the Skywatcher Myriad's and William Optics XWA's. The tapered top design will suite some (like me) better than the wide / flat topped Myriads and XWAs.

I know the quoted Stellarvue focal lengths are a little different but I still think they are the same thing optically.

Archived