NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Photo's of Moon...

Woolnut

So i managed to get the 'scope out for an hour or so a little earlier on this evening just before things started getting cloudy here! I took all the photo's with my iPhone 6 Plus by holding up the camera to the EP... (some of the photo's didn't turn out that well as a result... Either way here are the two best shot's i took :) (These are my first EVER photo's taken through the 'scope)

Moon_v1.jpg

Above taken with 10mm EP

Moon_v2.jpg

Above taken with 25mm EP

14 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Very nice Woolnut, That's another one hooked, won't be long before you're buying a camera

Thanks! I have already looked at some second hand / new camera's... :) Some of the photo's i have seen posted on this forum have been fantastic but there doesn't seem to be a specific camera / model that reoccurs! Everyone uses different equipment which i guess is great but it makes purchasing even more difficult :(

I also have about a million questions in regards to the photography element; which i won't ask just yet as i need the camera first :p

On 06/01/2017 at 12:01, Woolnut said:

Thanks! I have already looked at some second hand / new camera's... :) Some of the photo's i have seen posted on this forum have been fantastic but there doesn't seem to be a specific camera / model that reoccurs! Everyone uses different equipment which i guess is great but it makes purchasing even more difficult :(

I also have about a million questions in regards to the photography element; which i won't ask just yet as i need the camera first :p

Might be worth asking some of those questions before buying a camera to make sure you get the right one for you?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Might be worth asking some of those questions before buying a camera to make sure you get the right one for you?

Was just about to say the exact same thing. The features and strengths of the different models in use by the forum membership all lend themselves to the different techniques we all use and the kind of images produced. So ask away my friend.

@Stu, @johnfosteruk,

Thanks guys, well i have never owned a "proper" camera before, I have used a few professional standard camera's to take photo's but i never got into the details as i was helping out a mate with some sports photography on a sunny day where i was able to simply point and shoot :)

I would probably want a new camera but that depends on cost and if there are no decent second hand ones around with a reasonable shutter count / not beaten to death :p Realistically my budget is around £300... Not sure what i can get for the money though so i am flexible as i know with some things you spend a little more and get a much better piece of kit!

In terms of techniques i have no idea, i would say i don't want to be limited to only a few, the more the better i'd say as i like to experiment with things. I have a pretty good knowledge of photo editing software such as Photoshop so that side of things isn't a concern... It's taking the photo's that i have little experience in!

I have been reading some articles online about astrophotography and a fair few questions have already been answered which is great, takes the load off SGL i guess ;)

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great :) 

As a non imager, all I will say is make sure you understand what you want to image. Lunar and planetary imaging is a very different discipline to deep sky AstroPhotography, and both need very different kit to do well.

For Deep Sky imaging, the book 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards is held in high regard to read before buying anything.

The trouble with lunar and planetary is that the planets are small, and you need a high frame rate and to stack many short exposures to get a good image. A DSLR is not necessarily the best option for this type of imaging.

Do plenty of research on the forum and keep asking questions before buying. Try to be specific about what you want to achieve as it helps to get better and more helpful answers. For instance, saying you want to image planets and deep sky objects will not lead to clear answers!! ;):) 

Archived