NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher Heritage 130p

Hi Folks,

I feel pretty good about navigating the night sky but now its time for me to use my scope. I've collimated my scope this afternoon (hope the skies clear this evening). With this being my first scope obviously theres lots of information out there to search through but can anyone recommend any useful equipment which would help me get the most out of this scope? So far I have : 10mm lens, 25mm lens and a 1.25 moon filter (when suitable). Still waiting on my 2x Barlow to arrive which should be in the coming days.

130mm 

f/5 650mm

Thanks in advance.

Callum

UK

Hello Callum welcome to SGL.

I assume your Heritage came with a finderscope - red dot finder? If not you will need one.

You don't mention your interests so I will assume its the Moon, Planets and Deep Sky Objects.

As you know the sky already I would recommend a star atlas which will show many of the brighter Deep Sky Objects - something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317

plus maybe this book as well - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundred-Night-Objects-Telescope/0521781906

Have you a planetarium software on your computer - this one is very good and free - http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

As you progress you will ask more questions about eyepieces etc but this is a start. Good luck with your first outing with the Heritage.

Very capable scope you will get a lot of enjoyment from it.I would use the eps that came with for now until your confident in using your scope and then most folks replace the stock 10mm.You can Barlow the 25 to give you 12.5 so maybe an 8mm to give some higher power views(BST explorer 8mm is £49 on eBay) again a very capable ep.

I started out with the same scope and you should certainly be able to get enjoyment from it along with the accessories supplied,

As mentioned above you should try to resist spending lots of money now on new eyepieces etc. If and when you feel the need to upgrade come back to the forum and ask for advice on what best to spend your money on based on where your main interest lies. It is often cheaper to buy a bigger or different style of scope than it is to buy a set of eyepieces :wink:

You should also read this to get a good idea of what you should expect to see through the equipment you have...

A very nice first scope which will give you lots of enjoyment. As has already been stated, use the supplied eyepieces to learn how your scope works. The 25mm one is more than adequate and you should start out with that. The 10mm is not so good but is usable.

Hi ... I also have the same scope and as you said previously I prefer the 25mm paired up with a 2xbarlow, makes observing easier with excellent views ... great scope and quite capable. Just a wee question will the 130p take filters, if so which do you recommend? 

Archived