Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observation in the cold?

N3ptune

I think my coldest observation has been at -15C or so with little wind. I then used a manual 127mm Maksutov with camping mat insulation and dew cap. Wearing a lot of warm clothes was sufficient.

My favorite observation place, at our hut in Darkland is also in one of the coldest places in the country. But seriously, being outside at -20C or colder is only doable if your are physically moving. I have been cross country skiing and running at -24C and that is just doable. But I really can't imagine observing in such temperatures.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Linda says it is the "not moving" that is a big part of the problem. And any wind makes it a bit worse. I use one of 2 almost identical down jackets, same jacket in different sizes, that are rated to I think -10C. The thermal tops underneath just add to the keeping warm.

Some years back I think that PHD did a down jacket designed for an Alaskan dog sleigh race. In that the idea was you stood there yelling at the dogs but not exactly running round yourself. I think they added another -10 to the insulation for that. So you had a jacket rated for -15C air temperature but actually designed for down to -25C for the race purpose.

What always surprises me is that when I finish and remove my jacket I am warm inside but when I touch the outer surface that bit is cold, really cold. Never have got used to the temperature difference.

Hehehe thanks that's interesting, here is a rough average putting aside some other factors like the wind.

Roy Challen = -20
Linda = -15 + wind
Stu = -10
rockystar = -8
Jetstream = -37
Floater = -6
Scrap15 = -11
Ronin = -12
Alan potts = -6
mikeDnight = -15
Samibotss = -5
VilleM = -31

14.6666 Celcius 

@Mr Spock

I don't mind the cold but I don't like getting frost on the scope. So I guess that's my limit.

Yeah it's a problem, the frost inside the tube also, I share that worry.

@mikeDnight

If I'm uncomfortable because of the cold, then it's a no go for observation. Being uncomfortable, like being tired, means that I'm not able to concentrate and enjoyment is compromised. At times like that I'd rather sit by the fire with a mug of hot chocolate and read Starlight Nights, yet again. ? Its a hobby after all and theres no sense in making yourself ill. The cold can be insidious, especially as you get older! ?

I kind of feel that way too these days, I did a sketch 1 time at around -17, -20 it was almost impossible due to dexterity loss. And not much comfort after 60 minutes.

@alan potts

It can get down to minus 35 here as I am sure it can where you are Yes it can! a true thermometer -35 will happen 2 or 3 times per winter maybe. And perhaps  10 ~ 15x with the wind factor ? it's ruff for the engine of the car.

About 5 years ago it was minus 26 in the morning with no wind, as is often the case, I went outside with only a T shirt on as it was only 20% humidity. Having said that I am sure if the wind had picked up my arms would have dropped off.  LOL (:

@Samibotss

And be sure to wear Gloves. I can't stress this enough

Yeah it's true, to prevent freezing fingers on freezing eyepieces. It seems when the fingers get cold, usually, it's over. When I feel pain at the tip... ): A better pair of glove could be something to get for this winter, thanks for this suggestion.

@Linda

I think my coldest observation has been at -15C or so with little wind. I then used a manual 127mm Maksutov with camping mat insulation and dew cap. Do you have a picture of your mat over the telescope? that's a good idea. Nice Avatar also of your red Squirrel. I have a similar angry resident living in my neighbour's cedar hedge.

LpRGlB3.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.12.2016 at 04:05, N3ptune said:

I think my coldest observation has been at -15C or so with little wind. I then used a manual 127mm Maksutov with camping mat insulation and dew cap. Do you have a picture of your mat over the telescope? that's a good idea. 

Here are the pictures. The ones on the telescope are on the C8. Here I have only added a foam mat around the tube. Back and front are open. There is an extra long foam mat that I put over the front part as dew protection. This telescope has not seen really cold weather yet, but it has not been fogged since I use the foam mat. 

The last 2 pictures on the box are the Maksutov foam mats. One for around the tube, including the back. It is fixed with elastics. The other one as dew protection. This solution has been tested in very cold and humid weather and works very well. No electronic dew heating nessesary.

20170103_205437_resized.jpg

20170103_205457_resized.jpg

20170103_205531_resized.jpg

20170103_205558_resized.jpg

20170103_205647_resized.jpg

20170103_205702_resized.jpg

Archived